Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:32 PM   #1

The sea, mountains and the city of Izmir herself shot by a kindred spirit while the 19th century was drawing to its close..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:38 PM   #2

And almost the same view shot by myself some other time..
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:02 PM   #3

Bahadir, I think this is really facinating, it seems most of the man made things have changed but you can see the mountains and the sea withstood the test of time. I think this is something that would make a very interesting challenge down in that forum, if you chose to submit this idea. The idea of finding a old photo and making the same shot in the present and comparing them! !

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:55 PM   #4

fascinating! great job of lining it up so that the match with the older one is nearly perfect!
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:06 PM   #5

Hi,

I liked the first shot and the second one! Great comparison! It was really nice that you were able to get to the same spot without something built were the oringinal was taken.

bluwing (Rudy)
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:29 AM   #6

Bob, thank you for your kind words expressing your appreciation. As you've put it, the mountains and sea is a great determiner in this comparison and also the reason why I displayed these comparative images in the Landscape photos section instead of the Architectural. I also agree with you in sending the idea of 'now and then' to the Weekly challenge forum. So that, there will be much much more old and new to feel filled with nostalgia!

Drewaz, thanks for your kind compliment which cheered me up

:-) Ah, I had to sacrifice many clouds and a beautiful portion of sea for that matching crop and now very pleased to hear that it has been justified.

Rudy, I witnessed your refined taste for the old in the Architectural Photos section and was really expecting to hear from you. In fact you have more reasons to appreciate the first photo! The more I see the works of century old photographers the more I admire their competence.
Thank you for your appreciation :-)
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:29 AM   #7

I agree with Bob - not only would a Then-and-Now Photo Challenge be a great idea, I think it would be a very popular subject for a new forum. Like many others, I find it fascinating to see how things change yet stay the same. I agree totally with your sentiments regarding the photographers of the past. Thanks for posting this, bahadir.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:06 AM   #8

I'm not sure what to add that hasn't been said already. It really is amazing that apparently there is nothing left of the old town, some of those buildings look pretty sturdy too!

Great idea, I hope we'll see a few more of these around here from different parts of the world. You may have started something here! :-)

John.
John Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:28 AM   #9

Toshi,I hearthfully agree with you. Now I remember looking at now and then comparisons on a few occasions and also recall how I was moved. In fact the best part about this experience lies under the moments of appreciating the circumstances under which these old photos were taken, the life captured in them and the the photographer themself of course! Encouraged by Bob I sent a post to submit new ideas section of the weekly photo challenge forum the day before, which is awaiting a reply. If this idea is appreciated I think we should press for your even greater idea for a new forum.
Thank you for your kind appreciation and interest:-)

John, really, ain't it be great? I'm so pleased to receive that incentive from a talent such as yourself whose latest work has effected us very recently. Thank you so much:-)