Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

I was hiking in Kilauea to see the steam coming up out of the ocean. I was in about three miles before I could actually start seeing the plume coming out of the ocean.

I saw a couple ahead of me stop and I decided to give this a go. It gives perspective of scale.

I did not have the proper gear to go in any further but I am amazed that some people still live there even though the 2003 lava flow have pretty much cut them off from conventional travel. It is quite the hike in and out. I found this place fascinating.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:33 AM   #2

Great shot. The people certainly give this greater impact. I've hiked a tad closer but started running out of time and had to return as soon as I reached the steam rising from lava hitting the ocean.

Others have gone in the evening a little bit further than I did and gotten some splendid shots with the molten lava dripping into the ocean. It takes a lot of luck to be there at the right time with enough time and stamina to get the shots of the molten lava.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

Wow! That's a great shot vZInquest! You captured the shot just right by having the people there. Really does give you a sense of the size. ....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:48 PM   #4

Mahalo Selvin and thekman620,

I only resized this shot and thought the camera reproduced what it really looked like that day. I am sure I could do some PP to give this some "punch" but by itself being there was just awesome for me.

Aloha,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:49 PM   #5

vIZ that would have been a great thing to see. What an experience. I agree that the people in the photo works well. Nice stuff
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6

This isdirected to vIZnquest.

When I first came onto this thread I forgot it wasn't a critique until a poster before me involved himself in it.So I erroneously picked up where he left off. I didn't think anything about it untilI dropped by a day or so later and noticed deleted information. That's when it hit home that I and the other poster, whomever that may be,had goofed.

Your message was loud and clear with that deletion. Further, I apologize for the intrusion.

However, I do believe a friendly reminder could have been offered as an alternativeto the sudden interruption via thedeletion method.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote