Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Member's & Family Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/members-family-photos-81/)
-   -   Who else....my daughter (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/members-family-photos-81/who-else-my-daughter-191065/)

Shutterbug74 Aug 14, 2011 12:41 AM

Who else....my daughter

1 Attachment(s)
I was playing around with my 50mm 1.8 which I've rediscovered and couldn't resist photographing my daughter having a bath as her face was flushed and her eyes seemed to come alive.

I had a little trouble figuring out how to crop it but I think this turned out fairly well. I somehow focused a bit more on the bridge of her nose rather than her eye (I think I moved my arm at the last minute) but still, I like the picture and thought I'd share.

CC are always welcome.

JeannieBug Aug 14, 2011 12:51 AM

Yes, it would have been better if it was focused on her eyes; but I still think it is a wonderful composition!

Shutterbug74 Aug 14, 2011 1:35 AM

I know! Darn it.....and it wasn't on "auto" either so I can't even blame the camera :) You don't notice it too bad when its a smaller size so if I keep a print at a 4x6 it'll do.

Thanks for the comment.

sdromel Aug 15, 2011 1:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you can change the eyes pretty easily using the sharp tool and an appropriate brush. (Just touch up the eye areas.)

I tried it, but the provided PIX is too small (only 70KB file) and it pixelates too easily. Here's the best I could do. (Effect is subtle and have difficulty bringing out HER right eye.)

banksy Aug 15, 2011 6:04 AM

Beautiful capture of your gorgeous daughter. The skin tones are great.

Wingman Aug 16, 2011 11:47 AM

If you have the eyes in sharp focus, nothing much else matters!

Cute pose and nice lighting especially the catch light in the eyes. The hair in its untidy state around the face and shourlders is a tad distracting (just MHO).

Shutterbug74 Aug 16, 2011 10:16 PM

Sdromel, thank you so much for trying! It did turn out better than the actual photo. I always forget to try to unmask the eyes :)

Jelpee, thanks for the comment and critique. Yes, to each his own as I actually like the disheveled look of the moment...by that's just me. It's interesting what different people see and like.

Bansky, I loved the skin tones and its partly the reason I took the shot. Thanks for making a comment.

thkn777 Aug 22, 2011 5:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hm, if you absolutely have to "rescue" that image (in the means of getting something that looks "sharper"), what about something like this (resized to 50% to show after/before effect)? Quick refocus attempt. No masking etc. - all pp on whole image. There is a lot room for improvement and as always working with the RAW/original size image would probably help. But you get the idea...

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S. beautiful eyes and a great look she gives you ;)

Update: several steps of deconvolution give a somewhat smoother image with almost the same "sharpness feeling", but with more details (e.g. in the eyes). I added a 2nd image for comparison. So to my mind it's worth the effort.

Conclusion: To my mind you should bite the bullet and try getting the image de-blurred using the original file. The photo is just to nice to leave it untouched ;) Good luck.

Shutterbug74 Aug 30, 2011 11:05 AM

Thkn777, thank you so much for the nice comments and for taking the time to edit the picture. I love how you were able to bring out her eyes more and "rescue" the photo :) Thank you very much! I'll have to try your suggestions myself.

Calicajun Sep 10, 2011 1:54 PM

The picture really stands out with the minor edits apply. Very pretty little girl you have and nice that she poses for you.