Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:56 PM   #1

I have a new Pansonic FZ7 and my daughter wanted some pictures for Christmas. The lights are home made and the background is black felt from Wally World. One light is a homemade soft box set about 4 feet from her at a 45° angle slightly higher then her head, I have another reflector light about 4 feet from her at a 45° angle, and a hair light 3 feet over her head. All lights are use 6500K compact flourescent lamps. The soft box is 400 watts, the other two are 100 watt lamps. No flash was used, the WB left in auto, minimum compressiin Jpeg mode, and I tried the soft skin mode on the camera. I used photo impact just to adjust the size of the pictures for posting, no other touch up was done. I interested in what I can do to improve the way the lightsilluminate the subject, her posing position, etc. I'm not concerned about make-up at this point. I'm a beginner andjust play with the camera when I have time. I have two more pictures but can't figure out how to make them all appear in one post.
Attached Images

Carroll B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:35 PM   #2

Second picture
Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:37 PM   #3

Picture 3
Attached Images

Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:10 AM   #4

The images look "flat" due to not having a stronger "main" light & the others probably being too close. I would suggest the main-upper side light being 1 or 2 stops brighter than any fill light. The fill should just smooth the shadowy areas on her face. The hair light should be lighter still....just outlining her profile. Remember, shadows are your friends:
Attached Images

Old Oct 4, 2006, 4:10 AM   #5

I took this with some hom emade lights. cost me about $60-80NZD in total. So about $50usd.

One of the shots below

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote