Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:44 AM   #1

This is my eldest daughter. I was experimenting with reflections

Last edited by jewel45; Aug 15, 2009 at 8:48 AM.
jewel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Your daughter is going to be a heart breaker one day (well probably already is) as she has one of the greatest smiles (both mouth and eyes) I have seen for a long time. You are very fortunate to have a pair of models to assist you in your work.

As for this shot, it is interesting but there is something missing to make it great (sorry to say I can't suggest what it is).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:09 AM   #3

Hi mark thanks for the compliment on my daughter. She certainly photographs well. Im not sure either what is missing but I do like the effect. I am very much a novice and Im learning every day. I enjoy it immensley. I took the opportunity to visit your homepage and well what can I say! Fantastic !!! I hope one day I will achieve that level. Many thanks for looking and comment.
Julie
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Julie,

Don't sell yourself short, if you are onlya novice you are putting together some really good work. I like that fact that you are thinking outside of the box and trying different things which will help you immensely in the future. Thanks for your kind comments on my site, but I would only put myself in the category of very keen amateur who still has a lot to learn. The way I have learnt most so far is from posting here and practise, practise, practise. It's the best thing about digital that you can shoot for basically free and very quickly see what works and what doesn't rather than having to keep waiting to get prints back.

Keep up the good work.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:37 PM   #5

Hi Julie .

Total ... total agreement with what Mark just said

[Hi Mark, pleased to meet you.. I'm a Noobie just arrived a coupleof weeks ago in the Sony Forum.]

I have had a good look at your picures in this forum and a few things become very evident ... firstly you adore your daghters and the feeling is mutual. 'Great photographic subjects' you mention in this and the creative forum.
Question suddenly came to me 'great for WHOM?' ....

.... Who is that person being smiled at ... YOU.

Now Mark was mentioning something missing.
That got me thikiong 'Hmmmm ... OK .. What cold be added.

My own Two cents is ..... .YOU.

Like that ballet composite in the creative forum, this is another one which has a lot of possibilities for tweaking.

I think you could get yourself in the mirror picture with your camera.
I'm not trying to preach narcissism. Just that what is coming through SO heavy is the RELATIONSHIP between you and your daughters .... just reminded of Ria's pic of the old lady and thekitten ... andby the same account Ifeel it would be intresting if you represented yourself more explicitly.

OK. All from me for now.

Take care.

Glyn

Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:18 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the beautiful comments it nearly bought me to. I do love both my girls very much and I will certainly take on board your suggestions after all its all about experimenting and learning as you go. Could you explain to me as Im new to not only photography but the terms people use:? what tweaking is? and also I have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9 and Adobe Photoshop 7 which I am still learning all the tricks and trades of. Is there any better programs that you can recommend or are these sufficient.
Again thanks for your obviously genuine comments they are so appreciated and made me feel great that I was on the right track, to working toward pursuing eventually a career in photography.
Cheers
Julie
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:29 PM   #7

jewel45 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the beautiful comments it nearly bought me to. I do love both my girls very much and I will certainly take on board your suggestions after all its all about experimenting and learning as you go. Could you explain to me as Im new to not only photography but the terms people use:? what tweaking is? and also I have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9 and Adobe Photoshop 7 which I am still learning all the tricks and trades of. Is there any better programs that you can recommend or are these sufficient.
Again thanks for your obviously genuine comments they are so appreciated and made me feel great that I was on the right track, to working toward pursuing eventually a career in photography.
Cheers
Julie
Well, Julie, It so comes across.

Tweaking: Making adjustments in the direction of a desired outcome. Usually used in the latter stages of a project as in 'It's almost the wayI want it but I'll need to tweak it a bit more before it's read to post on the forum'.

The Program I use is Photoshop CS [9.1] ... And sometimes I shoot RAW files ... very big but because they have not been messed about by the in-camera processing, can contain more detail than the JPEGS. For those I use 'Capture 1'Raw convertor to get them into a fit state to go into Photoshop.

Please say a bit more about working toward pursuing eventually a career in photography ... It occurs to me that you have mentioned this elsewhere and that the idea is very important to you.

All the best

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:13 AM   #8

Something you might want to try is to lighten the actual image not the reflection just a little. Her hair seems to fade into the background. That might be the pop you are looking for. Also maybe sharpen just a little.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote