Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:40 PM   #1

I took these pics tonight and did'nt have a proper light setup and only had my Flash to Help....Can anyone do anything to make these pics look better...??? I just can't get the Hang of Portrait Photography...!!!

Thanks
Attached Images

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:40 PM   #2

No'2
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:41 PM   #3

No.3
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

P.S Give the Full list where i went wrong!!!!

Canon 30D set to ISO 100 with 17-70mm at f8 which someone on here told me to use- f8...!!!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:38 AM   #5

I don't think I would use the camera's forward-facing flash for portrait photography.

I would turn on lots of lights in the room, make sure they are diffused in the direction of your subjects (either by them being behind a lamp shade or piece of paper), and shoot the image without the camera's flash.

Put the camera on a tripod, open the aperture as wide as you can before having too shallow a DOF, and then click.

Also, match the camera's white balance setting for the type of light you are using in the room.

good luck!
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:17 PM   #6
djb

I think the subjects are too close to the backdrop. Sit them at least 3 feet away to reduce/eliminate shadows. Also, everything digraph mentioned.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:53 AM   #7

I made an attempt in Photo shop CS2. . .saturated it a bit, added gaussian blur with selective sharpening around the faces. Blurred the background a bit. but have some haloing around the young girl which i can't seem to fix. . .not sure if this is better or not????
Attached Images

soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:32 AM   #8
djb

The halo is around all the subjects, not just the girl. I don't know what method you used to blur the background but, I usually sharpen the image to my liking then make a duplicate layer. Then blur the duplicate layer to what I think looks reasonably okay. Then I erase the subject area to bring the original sharpened layer in view. Around the edges of the subject is where it gets tricky. You may have to erase to almost 1 or 2 pixels width around the edges. If you go too far over the edge of the subjects, after you flatten the image you can clone the blur back to the edges of the subjects. Hope that is not too confusing.

Another way is to clone out the halos. That may not be too dificult as the background is not very busy. hope this helps.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:29 PM   #9

DJB I see the entire halo now. interesting. it's not so obvious on my creen. Might just be my monitor. Really had to look to see it. I did a magic wand selection on the background and then feathered the selection to about 2 pixels, applied gaussian blur. May be my process steps need to be reorganized???

Well I'm a novice at theis PS business. But great tips to take into consideration!
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote