Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:35 PM   #1

Introducing myself. Love taking pics, but have next to no technical knowledge. I plan on possibly taking an online course and reading everything I can get my hands on. After much debate I finally pulled the trigger on an XTi. I'm finding the camera was the cheap part. I've since ordered two lenses, a 430ex speedlite and considering a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens. Anyways, these are a few of my first shots of my daughters. Nice to meet you all, and thanks for all of the great info. on this site.
Attached Images

Scott_1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

Another.
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:48 PM   #3

Lastly...
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Scott, Happy New Year and WELCOME!!!

Always good to see some pics when someone joins here and you have done well. My fave is number 2 with the window shot, the only thing that I might suggest you try is shooting with a little wider lens to get some of the frame in and position your daughter to the right of the frame. The other thing would be to watch the shadow from the frame itself as it is right over her eye so poss get her to move down a bit.

As for the last one it is a cute shot and a prime example of when you need to use noise reduction software (there are loads available such as Neat Image which has a free version, Noiseware Pro which I use and Noise Ninja). Hope you don't mind but here is how it looks with noise reduction applied. Noise reduction is one of those difficult things to get the right balance of not making the image too soft whilst removing as much of it as possible.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work as you learn but you are off to a good start.

If you want some good online reading for composition etc have a look at these links to get you started.

http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/index.html

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

Mark

http://www.photographysmith.co.uk
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:18 AM   #5

Mark, thanks and that's fantastic advice! I'm just beginning the journey so all of this helps. I plan on trying the window shot again when my Speedlite arrives and will use your suggestions.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Flash is not the be all and end all and if possible use natural light and then a reflector to fill in some of the shadows. The other thing is to use bounce flash so that it is not harsh light. Givea few things a try and see what they are like. I use a triangle reflector (for the very limited portrait work I do) which is great as I can hold it with one hand and shoot with the other. You can also use white card which you will be surprised how much light this will bounce back.

We are all learning and keen to help each other so you should find the forum a great place to learn. Keep on posting, keep on asking for advice, critique your own work, look at what others are producing and the 3 golden rules are practise, practise, practise!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:17 AM   #7

hi mate

welcome to the forums and you have some lovely shots there. the xti is a fantastic cam

You might want to add adobe photoshop to that list also. Post processing is a huge part of digital photography and give you an amazing level of versitility.

Granted it is ever so important to get that best possible shot at the time of shooting. Framing the shot up nice and making sure exposure is spot on. Photoshop just alows you to peak out your levels. Make you colours punch and even enhance those dark shadow areas to give an image a nicer overal balance.

Well i think the forums is a great place to learn. Posting shots and getting feedback is great for development. Its also gret to view others work and also comment. the interaction and feedback is a whole differnet level of learning from the likes of reading books etc.

i look fwd to seeing more of your work.

cheers and welcome

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:13 AM   #8

I can't make a decision which I like beter. . #3 as is or marks edit. Both have a really great soft feel to them. I think the noise actually benefitted the original. But both look great!
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:27 PM   #9

I tend to agree, the noise was not distracting but added a dreamy element to the image.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote