Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1

A candid shot of my granddaughter with a little fun using PS elements. Canon XTI.

Bob
Attached Images

rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:05 PM   #2

That's a sharp pic... I assume it was taken with the Canon85mm f1.8 from the exif. A couple little spots were missed in the selective coloring, but still very effective.
Great Job!

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:26 PM   #3

Nick:

Oops..you're right, I did miss a couple of spots. New Canon XTI, 85mm lens, ISO 400, F1.8, candid shot, no flash. Thanks for the comments. Bob
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:05 PM   #4

wow, that's an amazing shot for only f1.8...there's lots of detail that is super sharp.

that lens is sweet, sweet, sweet.

nice bw conversion, very lush.

the pic makes me thirsty, for sure!!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments. If I recall correctly this shot was taken with my camera on a tripod at 1/60, no flash, remote cable release. It was a candid shot at her sister's birthday. I'm finding that using a tripod or monopod is a help for me; i'm not as smooth on the shutter release as I should be. My daughter has asked me to take some portrait photos of her youngest (3) on Thursday, if we can keep her still. That should be interesting. I like the 85mm; maybe someday I'll havea Canon "L" series lens. For ow I may just rent one for special occassions and try it out. Bob
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:23 PM   #6

regarding your upcoming shoot....

don't be afraid to bump up the ISO, especially when you're photographing toddlers. You'll find if you learn how to follow and react to the action, you'll get better, more natural pictures, and less frustrated than trying to get a three year old to sit still. Nothing makes kids more antsy then a photographer and their parents standing over them commanding them to sit still!

The tripods are great for still objects, but I've found them extremely limiting in photographing people, especially children. Everyone has a different shooting style, and your "thirsty" candid is a great shot. But if you're shooting candids, a tripod will prevent you from being incognito in order to get shots like these.

You've got the fast lenses and the benefit of low-noise CMOS sensor ....[well, the XTi may be noisier than its predecessor because they basically stretched the old sensor out to fill 10MP]...so don't let that stop you.

I have a film photographer friend of mine that is married to his tripod. Different strokes for different folks, just providing the "other side" of freedom. :G
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote