Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

Just took these last night, I used her white curtains as the backdrop and got them to kneel on the double bed with white quilt. I have recently bought a slave for my ST 500 Sigma Flash so i had that in my left hand pointing at the white cieling and my camera in my right hand, shutter was 1/500 and white balance on flash ISO 200 and around F5.6. I've slightly adjusted the levels in PS and softened the edge of the girls slightly. Comments Welcome.

Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

Redsquare, you have captured their sweaters very nicely. And you have done a superb job highlighting their genes. Outstanding.
Which one is your girlfriend?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3

Very beautiful shots of the jolly family, with the relaxed atmosphere lasting throughout a whole three shots (or maybe many more?), posed so naturally.

I hope the two youngsters (I'm guessing) have clubbed together for a new pair of Christmas jeans (the other sort) for big sister. As Bynx says, they are alreadyamply supplied with knitware (and beauty & happiness).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:30 AM   #4

Thanks very much for the very Kind Comments. The curly Haired one is my Girlfriend. she is 20 years old the one in the brown top is the youngest 17and the other obviously the oldest 22 I'm 23

Amazing what you can achieve with any old white background and not justa studio
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:03 AM   #5

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
Amazing what you can achieve with any old white background and not justa studio
Congrats!I quite liked the hi-key effect you gained. All 3 (pictures) are very good, #2 being my favourite though! Oh needless to mention your obvious advantage regarding your models : )

Looking forward to seeing your further home made studio works
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:19 AM   #6

Appreciate your comments bahadir, I'll post somemore up soon, I want to get some emotional shots just in My front room with the front window as my backdrop
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:15 AM   #7

Lovely ladies and really nice effect achieved with the white background

.................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Wow, fantastic work and 3 lovely ladies!! When I first read your settings before looking at the results I was like no way would I ever use those, but seeing the results they worked very well!!

As you are looking at doing some more shots there are a couple of things to think about as general rules of portraiture.

Firstly if it bends, bend it (neck, arms, knees etc etc), not in a big waybut just make sure they are not straight, here you have done fine, but worth keeping in mind.

Second, when photographing ladies, the back of hands/fingers can be unflattering.... you can see examples in your first shot of how to do it and how not to. Both the hands on the shoulders work OK as they are more from the side and the fingers are bet, the sister on the right with her hands flat and straight out on her legs don't look as good.

Lastly, try not to have an intersection at a joint, so the hands on the shoulders, move them down the arm a little. The same goes for not putting a hand on the knee which people commonly do.

These points are not to detract from 3 lovely photos which I would have been proud to have taken, but hopefully will help you as you learn more and more. At 23 you are in a great position to learn lots and get some amazing shots in the bag.

Happy shooting,

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:37 AM   #9

Thanks very much for that Mark,Your work allinspires me. especially your wedding stuff.There should be more people out there to Help others to take better pictures, All i said to them is "your the models :-)Give me some poses" :lol:Was for there father for christmas.

I'll bare all of those in mind and next time i'm taking portraits i wont hesitate to put them up.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm really glad about that and I learned most of what I know (which is not a lot) through forums, trial and error and working a little with a pro wedding shooter.

I have another wedding up in Scotland this weekend (only 430 miles), so hopefully early next week I will post some new wedding shots.

I'm sure their dad was pleased with the photos!!

Keep it up.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote