Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jul 4, 2010, 4:20 PM   #1

Default Baby Wyatt

This is my grand son Wyatt born 2-24-2010. Shot with an A-550 with Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7. Aperture priority set at f/1.7

My pp skills need some work and my framing left a lot to be desired but he does not seem to mind being my test model while I am learning.

Steve
Attached Images

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Cute little expressions, expecially No. 2! I'm sure you'll get hundreds of great frames of this little guy! And these are two good photos.

I'm trying to figure out where the AF point is here. It almost looks like the clearest part of the picture is the green leaves to the right or his left shoulder. I know how hard it can be to get the focus right when you're using a lens with such a narrow depth of field (like a 1.7 wide open). Or maybe it just needs a little post-processing sharpening. Definitely not too much since I would guess you want soft-ish pictures of your soft-ish baby.

But great job!
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Administrator

I can't tell from the EXIF info. But, by default, the A550 will probably have AF Area set to Wide. That means that it decides what focus point to use, and it may not be the one you want it to use, since often, a camera will lock focus on the closest area it sees any contrast in using that type of setting.

Other choices for AF area include Spot (which means it always uses the Center Point, allowing you to lock focus with a half press, then reframe and press the shutter button the rest of the way down); and Local, where you select the Focus Point you want it to use (which can reduce focus areas that can occur from reframing after locking focus, as the focus plane is not always flat with a lens).

You can also override the settings by pressing and holding the button in the Center of the Control Pad to lock focus using the Center Point, then reframe and shoot before releasing the center button.

As a general rule of thumb, focusing on the closest eye is a good bet for portraits at a very close range using wider apertures.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:45 AM   #4

Thank you for the input. I was on the floor with him so I know I was moving around almost as much as he was. I did notice that the auto focus was set wide so I could not tell you when shooting in the burst mode where exactly the auto focus may have been looking. When going through the shots from the day the focus was all over the place with the images going from sharp to fuzzy and back again. I knew about rying for the near eye but with my settings wrong it did not go to plan.

I am still learning all of the menus and the various options so I see the next set being framed a bit better with the focus area set correctly. I plan on taking the new 17-50mm F/2.8 Tamron for a test drive tomorrow and will try to remember everything. I also had the white balance wrong. Each time my images are a little better than the set before so I am improving.

All in good fun, as long as he keeps doing his part I will improve.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:51 AM. Reason: brain fart
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote