Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:47 PM   #11

That is a GREAT photo!!!!
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:44 AM   #12

Both are very very good.
I love the first one for the glow on the front of the face, I love the second one for the movement in the picture.

Would be a hard choice .

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 3:13 PM   #13

Both shots are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 3:44 PM   #14

Both Photos are great, very good natural color.

Ramadan is Ramadan, Hanika is Hanika, etc, call Christmas for what it is: Christmas.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:10 AM   #15

Default Beautiful!!! What camera?

These pictures are beautiful!!!

What camera did you use? Did you use an automatic setting or a manual?

One day I'd love to be able to capture something similar!
1000words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:17 AM   #16

I used my Canon Digital Rebel in aperature priority mode. That allowed me some manual settings without having to guess at others. The encouraging part is I am just learning like many poeple here and this shot could have been taken by anyone. I would say it was more the camera than me.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. We ended up using the first posted photo for our Christmas cards. Me and my wife laughed about it really. We sent out 75 cards and, no kidding, received about 50 calls from friends commenting on the picture. The word "Hallmark" kept creeping in. It was very flattering.

And the best part is my wife now feels a bit more justified for me spending $1000 on a camera.
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael
The word "Hallmark" kept creeping in. It was very flattering.
Send it to Hallmark, you have nothing to lose. It would be nice to see your photo in card shops next year.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:40 AM   #18

Thanks Chuck. It would be interesting to see what happens.

If I do I'll post here.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:05 PM   #19

Default Thanks for sharing!

Wow... the digital rebel!!! I've posted on another forum needing a camera for indoor family shots with good focusing ability. Several people recommended Digital Rebel as the only option. This photo sure backs that up!

My Christmas picture disappointments include several shots taken at a distance of maybe 10 ft. , in the house, daytime with lights on, flash on... using auto everything... they turned out fuzzy. Several were taken using care to push the button 1/2 way down prior to lock the focus. Still fuzzy.

I would like the opportunity to play with shots when time allowed... but I definitely want a camera that could take simple photo like my kids in their grandma's lap!

Would you say the Rebel could take that kind of picture in the auto mode with a clear focus?

Then maybe I could learn more and get something half as awesome as your shots!

Thanks for sharing!
1000words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:45 PM   #20

I think the Rebel lends itself to good photography, that is, is of the quality that it can produce excellent results. But I think learning to use it with a certain amount of manual control is critical. I like to think I have a good basic understanding of photography and with that and the Rebel I can produce the images I want. I don't know if that could be said of opening a freshly delivered box, sticking the camera in "green" mode, and taking pictures. Would get the same results? Maybe the camera is that good, but I don't know.

I do know the pictures I have taken, both semi-auto in presets and with semi-manual in priority modes have made me feel good about spending the extra cash for the camera.

The focus for this shot was soft. It actually worked for the pictures, adding a soft filter effect. It is difficult for any camera to focus in low light. From this I learned to use manual focus when I can.