Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Me on 'seat with a view': Canunda National Park

Hello friends

While this is a mix of a 'members photo' and 'landscape photo' - thought I'd post here (as I haven't put a photo of myself up on Steve's for a while).

I went camping by myself for a few days in the south eastern part of South Australia - and enjoyed the break away from home / computer / work / etc. I will be adding more photos to other forums over the next while.

Anyway, here is my first photo from my camping trip... Thankfully my relatively new Manfrotto tripod was with me to help capture 'self photos' as well as those which required steadiness (e.g. multiple exposures for HDR, or long exposures).

This seat, set a few hundred metres from the sea was located up on a hill / permanent dune, and placed by a 'friends of Beachport' (nearby coastal village). It had a plaque on it, one thing it said 'enjoy the view'.

Well - hope you can appreciate the view from this photo.

Cheers

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

very nice view. when i first saw this i thought you had visited Monterey, Cali. i was at a conference at a resort there that had a path constructed just like that down to the water, and the plantlife and view is remarkably similar. very pretty.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:36 PM   #3

Hi Paul, nice view, looks a little "chilly" there. I am going to have to take some self portraits, before I get too old to, because I am always BEHIND the camera, so everybody gets shot except me! Looking forward to more from this adventure...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice view. when i first saw this i thought you had visited Monterey, Cali. i was at a conference at a resort there that had a path constructed just like that down to the water, and the plantlife and view is remarkably similar. very pretty.
Hi Dustin

Thanks for your word. Indeed, it was a lovely, wild view. Nothing man-made (apart from the path and chair) to interrupt the 'natural setting'.

Vey interesting to hear about it being similar to Monterey, California. I've not been to the USA, but several friends of mine who have say parts of California really do feel similar to the Mediterranean parts of Australia (e.g. Adelaide, Perth, warmer parts of Victoria / some areas of New South Wales).

The plantlife there is pretty hardy (lots of wind, and fairly poor soil / sandy). Maybe one day I'll visit the USA myself and see that - though to be honest if I do visit USA I'd like to see some areas that are remarkably different to Australia (e.g. parts of the Rockies, great lakes, etc).

PS - about the path- there are many such paths along coastal and inland walking areas right across Australia. Most greatly increase the path quality and longevity - and also provide accessibility to folks who might not otherwise be able to use a gravel / sand / dirt / mud path. The first few hundred metres of this particularly path were older, and the last part (where this seat is, for example) - were newer. Sadly they 'spaced' the boards out further apart along the newer section, so the toes of ones shoes (or your own toes if you were walking barefoot) could 'slip' in between the boards, particularly when stepping forward - which can be quite annoying (almost get your toes or the toe of your shoe / boot - wedged in between the boards). That was a tad annoying, but nothing so serious to spoil the walk really. Anyway, there you go!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by pj1974; Nov 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Note about the path
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Hi Paul, nice view, looks a little "chilly" there. I am going to have to take some self portraits, before I get too old to, because I am always BEHIND the camera, so everybody gets shot except me! Looking forward to more from this adventure...
Hello Robert

Yes you're right - it was quite chilly. (maybe around 15 degrees Celsius, but with moist sea-air and wind-chill - it felt colder). The SE coastal area of South Australia is perhaps the coldest in the state. It was also a cooler few days (and we haven't hit summer yet anyway). Coming from Adelaide, which is quite a lot warmer (it's 33 degrees here today) - the temperature felt particularly cool - hence the 'beanie' (head warmer) and winter clothes.

South Austarlia is over a million square kilometres, that's about one and a half times the size of Texas - so temperatures / climate vary considerable (dessert, coastal, inland, some low lying mountain ranges, etc).

Yeah, I know the feeling about 'few photos of self' - as I'm nearly ALWAYS behind the camera too. However more and more of my friends are taking up photography, so I'm giving them a few free hours each of one-on-one photography tutorials, and that way they sometimes take photos of me.

I recently purchased a decent Manfrotto tripod, which really has helped me a lot with photos when it's windy, etc. The tripod is SO much steadier than the very cheap tripod I've had for about 5 years. That cheap tripod was about a quarter the weight so would sway in the wind. Not only that - a lot of the 'joints' wobbled, etc. It broke a few months ago when it was packed in stow-away luggage on my return flight from Thailand. (Sadly insurance didn't cover it). It wasn't too expensive anyway, and so I feel like I've had good use out of it for the $70 - $80 I paid for it (back in Romania).

Anyway, Robert - looking forward to seeing more shots from you and of you!

Best wishes

Paul
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:14 AM   #6

I appreciate the view. You have found yourself a very nice spot to sit. Thanks for sharing it.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I appreciate the view. You have found yourself a very nice spot to sit. Thanks for sharing it.
Hi Lomitamike

Thanks for stopping by, looking and commenting. I'm glad you appreciate the view!

Here is a HDR of me in front of that seat (taken a short time after the photo above), that I processed tonight, and I'm quite happy with the result of this too.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:29 AM   #8

There are two approaches to these photos. One is to face the camera and watch us, the viewer. Or to look away and allow us to watch you. Personally, Im for the second kind. But its only the first kind that gets a full facial view.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
There are two approaches to these photos. One is to face the camera and watch us, the viewer. Or to look away and allow us to watch you. Personally, Im for the second kind. But its only the first kind that gets a full facial view.
Indeed Bynx - I totally understand what you're saying.

Actually I generally hate the 'I'm looking at the camera' posey photos (unless they are VERY well done - less than 1% of photos like that are 'good' imho).

But I still wanted to capture a few with my full facial view in the photo (e.g. to send to friends). [I feel sorta weird taking photos of myself... especially doing a HDR where the camera goes 'click click click'! But all in the name of something to share].

In case you're interested, here are 2 photos that I feel are more 'natural' - but you don't see my face.

HDR photo of me on 'that seat' again, but facing the sea / view!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:09 AM   #10

And here is another (perhaps one of my more favourite ones photographically) - again me facing away.

Really... sorry for the messy hair (I wasn't near a shower... or should I just say I was having a 'bad hair day'!) Actually it really WAS windy (see the little plants at the bottom, swaying - unable to perfectly have a HDR - even with high shutter speeds and 8 frames per second).

Paul
Attached Images