Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:54 AM   #1

Default My wife taken with an old kit lens!

Took these shots with my wifes old Canon 28-90 USM lens, which she had to her Canon EOS 30 film camera.
Hereīs the results.

_MG_37232 by Fotograf Daniel Skilberg, on Flickr

_MG_3725bw2 by Fotograf Daniel Skilberg, on Flickr

_MG_3725 by Fotograf Daniel Skilberg, on Flickr
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2

I like the BW close up. Nice dof and good framing. May be you can increase the contrast just a little bit.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I like the BW close up. Nice dof and good framing. May be you can increase the contrast just a little bit.
Thanks Ordo! Glad you like it. Iīll try to increase the contrast a bit. That was one thing I didnīt like with this lens. The contrast wasnīt that good. But hey, itīs a cheap, old lens

So itīs pretty okey anyway with some fixing in photoshop afterwards

Best regards/Daniel
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:24 AM   #4

Hi Daniel

Thanks for sharing the photos

The first photo in my opinion is particularly let down by a quite 'busy' (distracting) background. The stark trees can be difficult to blur with that lens.

However the 2nd (and 3rd) photos are really great! I'm generally not a fan of B&W, but I like the 2nd photo. The colour is also very good. Maybe a bit of extra contrast as Ordo suggested could be helpful, but even without this I like both photos.

The closeness of the framing and the intimate look in her eyes (probably because she's so close to the photographer) gives a good personal feeling to it. The only thing that I would have suggested an improvement is that there is quite a bright part in the background (to the left of her cheek on the photo) - which is a bit distracting. But not a big let down. I know how difficult such photos can be.

As this appears an outdoor portrait (my favourite type of portraits) - I'm impressed - good use of light!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi Daniel

Thanks for sharing the photos

The first photo in my opinion is particularly let down by a quite 'busy' (distracting) background. The stark trees can be difficult to blur with that lens.

However the 2nd (and 3rd) photos are really great! I'm generally not a fan of B&W, but I like the 2nd photo. The colour is also very good. Maybe a bit of extra contrast as Ordo suggested could be helpful, but even without this I like both photos.

The closeness of the framing and the intimate look in her eyes (probably because she's so close to the photographer) gives a good personal feeling to it. The only thing that I would have suggested an improvement is that there is quite a bright part in the background (to the left of her cheek on the photo) - which is a bit distracting. But not a big let down. I know how difficult such photos can be.

As this appears an outdoor portrait (my favourite type of portraits) - I'm impressed - good use of light!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul! Glad to hear and thanks for the constructive critique. It was a bit hard to get good bokeh with the lens. The biggest f-stop is f4.

The bright part in the second pic is snow. There is snow everywhere here right now
Canīt wait til the summer.

Yes, itīs a outdoor portrait with only natural light. Glad you like the use of it.

Take care/Daniel