Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:22 AM   #1

Default My 3 nieces

Hello friends

I visited my family interstate in Tasmania, Australia (as I do each summer). I have two brothers: my twin brother Robert and younger brother Kim. Both my brothers are married, Robert and his wife Carlene have 2 girls, and Kim and his wife Amy have 2 boys and a girl.

This time (the 10 days at the end of January 2011) - I took my Canon 350D with the 15-85mm lens as my 'walk around'. However I also took my new Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens, particularly wanting to try it out as a portrait lens (most of my portrait photos I take outdoors).

Each time I'm there I take lots of photos (mainly as precious family memories). When I'm back home (in South Australia) I send a CD of my photos to each of my brothers' families as well as to my parents (whom also live in Tasmania, and whom I also visited).

My family already received the photos (I sent the CDs by post at the beginning of this week), and they commented they really like them.

Here are 3 photos: each of my nieces, all taken with the Canon 100mm macro lens. Any comments you'd like to give are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Photo #1 - Hannah (youngest niece, 3rd child of Kim & Amy). An easy going, bubbly little girl of one and a half years.
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:24 AM   #2

Default Photo #2

Photo #2 is of Emily, the younger daughter of Robert and Carlene.

I true 'princess' - very happy to pose, dress up, and 'look as cute as possible'. (But can be fiercely independent at times too... I don't know if that is a 'princess trait' - lol)

Emily is nearly 4 years old.
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:27 AM   #3

Default Photo #3

Finally, here is Renee - the older daughter of Robert and Carlene, getting close to 6 years of age.

She knows 'uncle Paul' is always taking photos, and she enjoys pulling 'silly and unusual faces' for the camera. She's not camera shy, however I think she finds it 'boring' to smile in a photo (smiles takes a bit of coaxing for photos, though she will smile normally, actually - so best to capture her unawares!)

Here is one of her 'crazy faces'.

Again, thanks for looking.....

(uncle) Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:12 PM   #4

Great capture on the eyes form the 1st photo. The tighter crops does give those funny face shots a bit more dimension. Good control of the DOF to keep enough of the face in focus.

Think the exposure is a 1/3 to dark, if they were a tad lighter, the faces would have more pop.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:36 PM   #5

Hi Shoturtle

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

It's indeed a challenge to keep enough of the face in focus with such a setting. I find the 100mm f2.8 on a crop quite handy for those impromptu portraits. Some people say the focus isn't too fast, but it's fine for me (on both my 350D as well as my 7D) for such purposes.

I will try to practice again when I next meet my family, and some friends also asked me to take some photos of their family/children.

Interesting what you wrote about the exposure. I think you're probably right. One of my monitors (newer, has better dynamic range) it does look a 'bit' (eg 1/3 stop) too dark, but the other which is older, it definitely is too dark. I'll see if I can adjust both my monitors to be callibrated (and the same).

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:35 PM   #6

I love these photos! I feel they are a tad too dark also. I'm considering the 100mm f2.8 lens for my 7D so thanks for posting them.
Peggyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:17 PM   #7

Paul, you have three extremely cute nieces, but I had a hard time getting past Hannah. Those eyes... Shoturtle mentioned the pics were a tad dark, so I took the liberty of "adjusting" the first pic of Hannah. Some cropping, adjustment of color for skin tone, some light burning and dodging, and some brightness and contrast, followed by a hint (.5) of USM.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:21 PM   #8

Almost forgot! The pic, LOL
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9

Lovely shots and great capture.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggyo View Post
I love these photos! I feel they are a tad too dark also. I'm considering the 100mm f2.8 lens for my 7D so thanks for posting them.
Thanks Peggyo!

Really appreciate your kind comments. I'll certainly try to keep in mind to have the faces better exposed 'brighter' for future.

Hope you'll enjoy the 100mm f2.8 macro lens should you get it.

Paul