Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Default My Daughter

My daughter loves to be photographed and I felt this was a good picture of her.

Cute Amy by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:59 PM   #2

It is. I agree!
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:42 AM   #3

Now if I knew how to smoothen out the few blemishes I'd be happy. Thanks for your kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdendosi View Post
It is. I agree!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:26 PM   #4

I like the shot, the exposure and DOF is good but it's not that sharp. It looks like camera shake. There is no exif in the photo, so I can't see your shutter speed. I'm betting it was a slow speed. The eye's (and your daughters are beautiful) need to be sharp.

There is some skin softening tools depending on what post processing program your using. I use Aperture 3 and there's a skin softening tool that works nicely. There is also a sharpening tool that you can sharpen the eye's with.

Last edited by lomitamike; Nov 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:40 AM   #5

Yes, some camera shake. Hand held with a zoom lens. I agree with your editing suggestions. I have a copy of Adobe PE 8 that came with the Canon Pro 9000 MkII printer I recently bought. I just loaded it yesterday and broke out in a cold sweat when I saw the screen. This will be a learning curve for sure. I'm sure the tools you mentioned are in there someplace. Now I just have to learn how to find tools and know what they are used for and how to use them. May even need to buy a book on this. Thank you for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I like the shot, the exposure and DOF is good but it's not that sharp. It looks like camera shake. There is no exif in the photo, so I can't see your shutter speed. I'm betting it was a slow speed. The eye's (and your daughters are beautiful) need to be sharp.

There is some skin softening tools depending on what post processing program your using. I use Aperture 3 and there's a skin softening tool that works nicely. There is also a sharpening tool that you can sharpen the eye's with.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6

PE 8 is a good place to learn. I learned with PE2 then 4 and I now use PE 8 for edits that cannot be done with Aperture. There are many good video tutorials all over the web for learning the tools in PE you just have to search for them.

Keep posting thats a good way to learn also.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:23 PM   #7

A few good folks here linked me to those videos and am anxious to dive in one step at a time. First to learn how to do the basics with PE8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
PE 8 is a good place to learn. I learned with PE2 then 4 and I now use PE 8 for edits that cannot be done with Aperture. There are many good video tutorials all over the web for learning the tools in PE you just have to search for them.

Keep posting thats a good way to learn also.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 AM   #8

I have an Elements 7 book by Shelby which would get you started on Elements 8. You can have it for the price of shipping if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

Yes, I know this breaks the rules for posting an item for sale, but I hope the moderator forgives me and allows it just this once, given the circumstances.

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:52 AM   #9

Is that Shelby or Kelby?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
I have an Elements 7 book by Shelby which would get you started on Elements 8. You can have it for the price of shipping if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

Yes, I know this breaks the rules for posting an item for sale, but I hope the moderator forgives me and allows it just this once, given the circumstances.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:26 PM   #10

Scott Kelby - brain fart during typing. That happens more frequently now.

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote