Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:16 PM   #1

Default my daughter

This is the first portrait pic I took with my new camera..... and yes my daughter thinks she's a model
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2

I'd love more clarity on this, yet idk how to do it. I posted in canon forum with a pic similar to this one.....
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:59 PM   #3

Jenna--
Looks like you got a lot of feedback in the Canon forum. Here's a few things I have to say:
- Like others, because the EXIF data isn't imbedded in your image, we can't tell what the settings were when you took the picture. EXIF is metadata that your camera puts in automatically (shutter speed, ISO, f/stop, and other info). It gets "stripped" if you try to upload the whole big file here. So, as someone else said, shrink the file in Photoshop or whatever (but be sure that "preserve EXIF data" is checked as an option when you save).

- MOST DSLR images don't necessarily come out of the camera ready. They're meant for post-processing manipulation, which almost always includes a bit of sharpening. There are whole suites of products to do this for you, and photoshop allows for some "batch" processing of multiple images at one time. But for now, look for the photoshop option "Unsharp Mask" and play around with the options (here are some default suggestions).
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/...harp-mask.html

When i was shooting with an (older) Canon dSLR, I had to sharpen every photo I took. Even the ones with my $1,000 L lens.

Second, if you don't want to do that much post-processing, you can look in the camera's internal settings... there will be an option to "Sharpen +1, +2, +3" or something like that. Now, everyone here will say that's not as good as doing post processing on your computer, but it's a shortcut that will give you pretty good results with no time in your part.

Third, check your settings. It does look like you're shooting in low light, with a flash not quite up to the task. That may mean that your shutter speed is too low, which will give you a little bit of "motion blur" from "camera shake" -- the camera moving just a tad bit when you're taking the picture. The general rule of thumb is that your shutter speed has to be 1/focal length. So if you're taking the pic using a 55 mm lens, the shutter speed should be at least 1/55 second if you want to handhold the camera. Even then, it's not going to be as crisp as if you put it on a tripod.

(Indoor flash photography is difficult.)

Fourth, think about things like background and framing, too. The great thing about dSLRs is that they can give very shallow "depth of field" -- your subject in focus and the background (or even foreground) not. It feels rich, expensive, and more like your eye normally sees things. A sharp subject (that's fully in focus) with a blurry background makes things look really nice, but then you have to adjust your camera settings to make sure the depth of field is appropriate (mostly by adjusting the f/stop, while in P or Av, or manual mode).

I've just used an on-line editing to unsharp mask (probably too much, just for effect) and messed with the levels (if you don't know about levels and curves in Photoshop, google it... they're invaluable tools). Once again, this is probably overprocessed, but is this closer to what you're thinking?
Attached Images

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:18 PM   #4

Another for me to PP...
A bit of background burning- to make your daughter stand out,as opposed to blending in.
Also a bit of levels adjustment to brighten her up,then some red/green adjustments(had quite a job here getting it something like..!)and burned the lower part of her hair...
Of course- you may not like my adjustments- we're all different...!
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:25 PM   #5

The daughter is inherently pretty, but the PIX depends largely on what you are trying to accomplish. If it is some informal holiday thingy for emailing, posting on FaceBook or making a casual/quick avant-garde Christmas card then what's the difference? If it is for something more formal or that must really matter then an overhaul is required. Change the busy shirt and use a simpler or more separable background (eg, its hard to tell her hair from parts of the tree). Next use a softer more even flashfill. (As it stands now, the flash is so brilliant/intense bouncing off glistening hair that it makes the hair interpreted in parts as being white or at least gray.) Anyways, these are for openers.

Addendum
Attached is quick attempt at differentiating the daughter from the background. In that sense, my efforts are the same as the previous providers/commenters.

BTW, people seem to get too often caught up on sharp focus. If you look at many professional PIXes in magazines (particularly of models), you will notice that the focus is soft which creates a nice effect by de-emphasizing defects (eg, marks, blemishes and tones).
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Dec 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Adds Info
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote