Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Kids Party (indoor no flash)

Went to a grandkids party with a mirrorless aps camera and a 50mm f/1.8 lens.
I wanted to capture the day without using a flash and let the kids be themselves without posing.

I set the camera to ISO 1600 and kept the aperture between 1.8 and 2.8 and AWB.

50mm was a little too long sometimes. Had to back up into the next lanes.

Shot RAW and processing consisted of levels and edge sharpness adjustments with a little noise reduction. Simple.

1. Dads/Kids

2. Red or Yellow

2. Strike

3.Push

4.The best part of the party

5. And

6. Cake

7. Thoroughly enjoying the cake

8. Cheating, bowling with two balls. Thats my future number 5 grandkid in there.

9. Hokey pokey.

I was happy with the results. If I had a 35mm fast prime that would have been a better focal length as long as it was small like the 50mm.
The processing was simple and the AWB did good in the mixed lighting.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:38 PM   #2

i would have been happy with the results too
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:20 PM   #3

To me the photos are phenomenal in the sense of color balance light level, even-ness and color for no flash (particularly given under CCFL lighting).

Im always doing no flash stuff with my Pany (in fact had to do lots yesterday to document the preschool recognition event - pixes for the newsletter) and always battling color balance and light level vs shutter and action/motion.

Flash is bad because most people really arent too keen with noticing that they are being in a photo & for certain events (eg, church programs & close up indoor events), flash is undesirable (particularly used too often). Flash also is not necessarily a cure-all because it can result in noticeable uneven lighting (eg, hot spots/blow outs against dark/lesser lit backgrounds).

One day maybe I'll invest in a better camera, but for now I just live with "it", bite the bullet & use post processing.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:46 PM   #4

Thanks sdromel

I'm finding that when photographing kids no flash is usually the better option. Trying to capture them moving about freely and not being aware that their being photographed makes for great shots. There are times that I have an idea for a particular shot where a flash is a must. But for most events where kids are going to be a small light camera with a articulating rear lcd and no flash seems to work best. I have a separate flash bag that I take along just in case. But I find I'm not using too much lately.
The newer cameras (NEX-6 in my case) have very good ISO 1600 or higher and shooting at f/2 or faster makes it easier to get away no flash.

Here's an example of planned shoot where a flash was a must.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ddaughter.html
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote