Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:20 AM   #1

Default In Recognition of

While looking through my photo library, I discovered that my wife has been the most photographed person during the years we’ve been together. Even more then the grandkids. With that being said I do recognize my wife has played a huge part in my photography. I am very thankful for that. Over many years of trial and error she has been my go to subject. When I get new gear I always ask her to model for me so I can try it out. When I would find a new location I would ask her to come with me for a photoshoot. When I learn a new technique or have a creative idea she is the one I asked to help me. Most days I would just walk around and snap shots of her, the kids, grandkids, friends or anyone that was around. But mostly her.

She is not a model and has never wanted to be. She is a wife, mother and grandmother. It just so happens that she married a photo enthusiast who at least for a while had a compulsive disorder with his camera. There have been more times then I care to remember that she has told me “DO NOT TAKE PHOTO’S OF ME”.

When I was able to take photo’s of her most were not planned. There just photo’s that I happen to catch of her. Occasionally she would smile or sometimes give me a quick pose.

On the rare occasion that we have actually planned and gone out on a photo shoot together it was great. The two of us getting out and doing something together. Something that takes a focused effort on both our parts to accomplish a common goal. I’ve always tried to sell it to her that these photo shoots are a way for us to do something together as a couple, or a reason to go somewhere together that we may have never gone otherwise. She never really bought into it. She's just not comfortable modeling. I think it’s caused her more anger then the pleasure it has given me.

Unfortunately as time goes by we don’t get out for photoshoots anymore. I'm tired of the rejection. I hope that we may have a couple more left in us but if not, it was fun. I have many photo’s of her from the past that we can look at and enjoy. As I was recently going through and making a new strategy for my library I found many years of images of her that I have not seen in a long time. Some great, some good and some not so good.

I hope to do her justice by sharing a small part of the collection of images of her. I Hope you enjoy.

I'll start with some older ones. Back with my first digital point and shoots and Sony bridge camera.

This set was taken with my first Sony digital camera. I think it was a Sony DSC-S75 3.2mp. My wife just picked up a bunch of new dresses and this was the perfect opportunity to use my new camera.

Not much creativity in these shots, just fun.

Last edited by lomitamike; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:43 PM   #2

G'day Mike

Yeah mate - no doubt about it ... our lover is usually the most photographed and the photographer the least photographed

A couple of years back I had to go thru my late father's photo collection to find 'family' images and from about 9000 in total, about 800 were 'family' but only 5 or 6 actually were images of my dad

So - we can already see that your lover is well worth looking at but don't forget to give her the camera occasionally .... it won't break when pointed at you
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Mike

Yeah mate - no doubt about it ... our lover is usually the most photographed and the photographer the least photographed

A couple of years back I had to go thru my late father's photo collection to find 'family' images and from about 9000 in total, about 800 were 'family' but only 5 or 6 actually were images of my dad

So - we can already see that your lover is well worth looking at but don't forget to give her the camera occasionally .... it won't break when pointed at you
Phil
Your right Phil. I am the least photographed in our family BUT, she doesn't like taking pictures so when I do get in a photo it's usually with her or other family members such as this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:15 PM   #4

What a great tribute!

It is nice to have a supportive person to share your time wife!

Thanks for posting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
What a great tribute!

It is nice to have a supportive person to share your time wife!

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the reply.
I don't know if was occasionally giving in or being supportive. But either way she was my test subject.

This photo is one of my favorites. It's from a time when we were young and having a lot of fun and my interest in photography was being rekindled.
I took this with a my first digital camera a Nikon E410. A small point and shoot. I didn't think about any camera settings except focus for this one.

Last edited by lomitamike; Feb 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: new hosting site
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:40 PM   #6

An oldie.

Early landscape/portraiture photography with my model wife amongst her flower garden. This was also the beginning of learning photoshop elements. 2002.
Re-edited in Aperture to downsize.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Feb 8, 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:03 AM   #7

A couple more from that year. Working on composition and discovered using a flash during the day works well. so does the water.

Pool.

Lake.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:50 PM   #8

These shots are not even close to being "technically good shots" but they are memorable shots of my wife and capture her spirit. Both were taken with P&S cameras while out traveling.

Sailing across a lake in Idaho. A very peaceful moment.
Nikon E4100 P&S all auto.

Camping at a California beach as the sun sets.
Kodak C330 P&S all auto
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:01 PM   #9

Moving along, I purchased my first DSLR in 2006. She was now a model.
Some of my first respectable images of her with the new DSLR.
LA Woman. With UFO!

At the skatepark. Yep, I still skated then.

Her Flowers. She's always taken pride in her gardens.

Last edited by lomitamike; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:17 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:14 PM   #10

In conclusion;
Here the last group of photo's that are some of my favorites.
Thanks for looking. Hopefully this collection of photo's may encourage you or give you some ideas on how to include your wife with your photography.

This one was taken in the evening with just enough light for the camera to lock focus. I used an 42 inch shoot through umbrella.

This was on an outing to a botanical garden. I asked her to wear something that would look nice to photograph her while we were in the garden.

I really like how he light shines through our yard this time of the year. I wanted to get a nice backlit shot of her in that light. I used spot metering on her face and wide open f/1.4 for narrow DOF.

During a trip up to northern California we stopped at Morro Bay for a night. This was taken during an overcast afternoon with an on-board flash and a CTO gel. White balance was adjusted in post for correct skin tone.

The next were taken during posing exercises. I was trying to shoot implied nudes that are nice sexy portraits without being too erotic or revealing. It's harder then you may think. Communicating the pose your trying to get with the right facial expression is something we had trouble with. I think this is where using your wife may work against you. We did manage to get some really nice shots though.
This was using a reflector.

This was natural light backlit through a window.

Standing next to a door on the garage. I opened it 1/2 way to reflect light back onto her.

Birthday Princess, I always liked this one.

At the B&B. Using a 28mm f/2 lens wide open to include a lot of the background.

Make-up rehearsal for a wedding. I had to get a shot of her when she came home like this. It's the only time I have ever seen her after using a MUA.

A walk along the beach. Not a posed shot.

And finally the last shot. This was an idea I had of only leaving the flowers colored. It was shot out of the direct sun light and worked in post. I like the results.