Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:00 AM   #101

ferny, it was an electrical fault that started the fire and i was asleep at the time. When i woke up choking the first thought i hadwas "i'm dead". I had to jump through a ground floor window to get out but i didn't know that until the firemen came to the hospital and asked how i got out. I told them that i had gone out the back door and they said i couldn't have because it was locked but the living room window was smashed. Then i remembered touching the kitchen door to get out the back but i burned my hand and realised that the fire was raging in the kitchen. That's when i punched the window through and got out. My mates asked why i didn't throw something else through the window first instead of punching it but i was choking and it was pitch black and didn't think about anything except getting out quick. The firemen said that if i'd opened the kitchen door i'd have been a goner. I got off lightly really with cuts and a few burns. The worst thing was that everything was gone and we couldn't move back in for 6 months. It was so hot that the wall lights which had glass shades had melted, if i'dhad a camera then i could have got a shot of them. They looked well smart. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:05 AM   #102

It's one of those occasions when you think "I'd know exactly what I'd do." until it actually happens. I'd hate for it to happen to me. Still, they say you die from smoke inhalation rather than anything else. Isn't that reassuring...
Where did you live for six months? Family or live it large in a hotel and bill the insurance?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:13 AM   #103

We lived with family and friends, I stayed at my mates house round the corner. You're right about the smoke, it nearly got me. The firemen said i was lucky to wake up when i did. I thought i was only in the ambulance for five minute before going to hospital but according to my mum's mate i was in there for half an hour outside the house. As i said earlier, Lucky aren'tI. :-)Still haven't won the lottery though so I can't be that lucky. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:06 AM   #104

Pickles has joined the Red Cross?!? Good job, Pickles! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:48 AM   #105

Nah, she's just a big Adam and the Ants fan.:lol:
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:00 PM   #106

Stand and Deliver, Pickles!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:10 PM   #107

Dog eat dog eat dog eat monkey
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:52 PM   #108

What the heck - here I am little and big (SOMEONE had to dress for the photos, hehe). I think little is better, wish I were there again!

flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:16 PM   #109

Wow, flint - you look like William Macy! Without the cartoonish edge. With a little Robert Redford mixed in.

I am still little. 5'2" and thementality of an eight-year-old (much to dear hubby's chagrin). A also recommend not growing up. Remember that, Vito! :-)
Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:16 PM   #110

Hey, Pickles, is that why your tongue's out? Do I need to beware you? :shock: