Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:42 AM   #1

A picture I took at her fourth birthday, yesterday.
Attached Images

photonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:02 PM   #2

Lovely closeup.
I would have loved to see it a bit brighter however.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:40 PM   #3

great shot11 I agree with Frank about the lightness thing.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:54 PM   #4

I agree with Frank to regarding the brightness. A few more things to think about...while composing, I would have cropped off more of her bangs & included her lips & chin (she has plenty of bangs but only one chin). Another thing would be to adjust the white & black points (Image/Levels in PhotoShop). That would have brought out more contrast, plus your brightness could have been fixed then too.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:20 PM   #5

Personally i think the darkness matches her eyes and smile.
I think brightening would probably lose what i see as the mood of the photo. The eyes and smile seem to lend mystery to the whole photo. Though admittedly i would be interested to see what the shot look like in a higher contrast.

I do agree that the composition would be better with some more of the lips.

All in all a great shot.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:07 PM   #6

Thanx for the input. The shot is was an attempt at something different(for me). I see many wonderful photos here. Angles, lighting etc. that have me trying more than just taking a pic. The original shot was one Iwas not totally happy with. I tried a slight crop and hit greyscale and left it. Here is a view of the original, only resized for posting. Please let me know what you think.

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:35 AM   #7

What a cutie

I think it's great that you love to experiment. What a boring world it would be if every photo had to be perfect technically. I think your more monotone idea in the first work is an excellent direction to take because I personally think that things like black and white photography and film noir are extremely wonderful tools of expression.

Personally (and this is totally subjective)

- on my own monitor I would have boosted the contrast slightly in the first one

- in both I have a huge problem with why you cropped out part of her mouth, but I'm not sure what your motives were on that so it's one of the subjective things.

- you might consider slightly more contrast in the bottom photo (color one) and you might think about using inexpensive reflectors to get some light into the eye area. That's the area were I personally miss the light because the eye is the reflector of the soul and your subject obviously has alot to offer in that area.

If I had one complaint, it would be boost the contrast overall

If I had one compliment it would be, excellent enigmatic expression captured (except for the lower mouth area).
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:00 PM   #8

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
What a cutie

I think it's great that you love to experiment. What a boring world it would be if every photo had to be perfect technically. I think your more monotone idea in the first work is an excellent direction to take because I personally think that things like black and white photography and film noir are extremely wonderful tools of expression.

- in both I have a huge problem with why you cropped out part of her mouth, but I'm not sure what your motives were on that so it's one of the subjective things.

If I had one compliment it would be, excellent enigmatic expression captured (except for the lower mouth area).
Thanx Normcar, she is a cutie(and knows it)lol.

I will take the tips from here when I go to take photos.

As far as the crop of the lips, well, my bad. I must have concentrated on here eyes so much, I forgot her mouth.

Thanx again all.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:06 PM   #9

Yes, I would concur with Discodudette and Frank re brightness but this is, I believe,a relatively minor point.

You have a captured a wonderful expression on your niece

Something else you may want to consider is a crop of just her forehead, bangs and eyes...

The eyes are the "window to the soul' some folks believe so this may create a mystery about the photo with the suggested crop.

Nice job on both , the color and b&w.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote