Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1

Here is Mr. Photogenic. I took this to our local photography competition, and it didn't even place. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? I forgot to save it in jpeg format, so I scanned in the picture.

Thanks!

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:52 AM   #2

Hello Wisconsin Girl

Welcome to the forum!

You have captured a wonderful pose of your son

Two things that may have improved your chances in the photo competition would be:

1. A littlemore clarity (focus)

2. Include all of your son's head.

However, bottom line is this:

Don't worry about the photo competition I havesubmitted several photos for photo of day here with no winners (yet) but several folks that have submitted their photos on this forum and then on photo of day here and elsewhere have won!

Keep up the good work!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3

As camfan said, forget the contest.

This is a shot for you. It is great. It really captures your son.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for lighting?

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 2:39 PM   #4

My employer once ran a photo competition for all its employees. Myself and some keen colleagues entered our best shots - pictures that really should have won (excuse the modesty, :lol::lol:!).

When the contest results were published in the Staff magazine we were dismayed. One of my friends said, "Our technique is obvously wrong. We should have smeered petroleum jelly all over our lenses, then shut our eyes and jumped up and down as we pressed the shutter button. That way we would have stood a far better chance of winning."

OK, it sounds like "sour grapes", but he really had a point. You have to accept that the judges have their own ideas and preferences, and what appeals most to you is not always going to win the prize.

I agree with the others - that is a lovely shot, and if I had been judging . . .

But then I didn't see the others !

Keep clicking away, Wisconsingirl. At least you can post them here where they will be appreciated.

Regards, John
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses! I know...the picturewas for me. This will always be my favorite shot of him, but it was upsetting at the time.

I have ahuge window in our living room on the southern side. I had just picked up a roll of black and white film and I wanted to experiment. I had a table lamp sitting off to the side to give a little less shadow and put him at a 45 degree angle to the window. Unfortunately, I moved the table lamp closer for the next photos of him and his neighborhood friends, and all of the rest of the roll turned outso the black was more of a grey. Bummer!! I have tried so manydifferent techniques, but then I get caught up in the moment and forget to record what I did, and as a result, I do more experimenting than improving. Unfortunately, my camera was on manual focus and my eyes needed to be checked so I didn't have that crisp edge. Live and learn.

This photography thing had always been a dream of mine, but I didn't really start carrying my camera bag everywhere with me until this past year. I've given up snap shots and started trying to capture moments. That was the revelation that changed my photography...when I started trying to tell stories with my photos. I love it!!!!!!

Thanks, again!! Iam so glad I found this site!! It is hard to find people who can be critical and who know whatit really takes to have a great picture.

Here is a different shot...
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:47 PM   #6

Love them.
The first one is amazingly strong, really great work.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 4:00 PM   #7

I really like the first one, but both images are good. I have also really started getting past the standard snapshot and working on technique.

The snapshot does have its place. Yes, we gripe and groan about the end result (poor composition, slightly over/underexposed,etc).Sometimes just the fact that you were able to capture a moment of the event and have a story to remeber from it. If the image evokes emotion, then the image has done it purpose

Oh, gosh. My wife's scrapbooking philosophies are rubbing off on me. I'll stop now.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 8:53 AM   #8

Hi there, I like the shot. Never ever take photography judging too seriously. Ive had years of entering competitions and sometimes Ive had great success and other none. I really don't care. I take photos because I love it, and there is nothing wrong with just shooting snapshots because every now and again a great shot comes out of that. I recently was talking to a newspaper photographer who has the most brilliant camera setup yet he was excited about his new pocket sized digital camera for his quick snapshots:-)

Im in the process of sorting through all my shots to pick out about thirty for our yearly big photo competition and I think I will have a chance in some areas but I have seen my competition before and there are many great photos out there and I accept that I will not necessarily win anything but I do enjoy the challenge.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:48 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice!! I feel like I've walked into a room full of people who are kindrid spirits. There are so few people I've talked to who understand the drive to seek out those incredible shots that speak volumes without words. They think I'm a little odd to be running around with my camera bag all over. I had to laugh when I read that someone out there took a picture of a candle in a restaurant because I can see MYSELF DOING THAT!! I can totally relate.

I look forward to hearing more from all of you.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:54 AM   #10

Im still not brave enough to take one shot, Over here in western Australia road deaths are marked on the highways with white crosses, no more than a foot high. There is a bad stretch of road not far from here where three people died together so there are three crosses. One of my photo club subjects soon is called "dramatic viewpoint" and I was thinking that a shot of the crosses with a car wizzing by would be a great shot but it means laying down on the roadside with a camera looking a bit strange:-)Ive yet to get brave enough.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote