Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:34 AM   #1

This is my brothers child, Im working on layers and trying to get a softer effect with the portrait style photos I take. Opinions welcome

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:40 PM   #2

Very nicely, Julie

Something to treasure and put on a wall!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:15 PM   #3

That's a very sweet picture, Julie.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:47 PM   #4

thanks guys, you would never know by the photo that she is a terror, always making her older brother aged 3 cry:-)
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:28 AM   #5

Nice photo.

Try running it through Neat Image, I found it makes a childs complexion very smooth and will also soften the edges.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 4:31 AM   #6

I look at his one and have to peer at it quite intently down my nose, through my reading glasses. The expression on her face is perfect! It says she's not only happy that her precious treasure she's hugging is safe, but she's willing to share her attention for a moment with you. You've got her focus shifted and caught it! Now, throw in the other details like you captured this angel at just the right angle, lighting etc...and we're the lucky ones. Only one question out of curiousity. I see a tiny bit of light reflecting in her eyes. When you softened this, did it diminish that reflection? From time to time I have noticed that with portraits, the eyes can sometimes really make the expression remarkable. I've had to choose sometimes between diminishing that expressive reflection, and working on the overall appeal, or just leaving it as is to preserve the expressive eyes. Really nice photo. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the nice comment KENNETHD. I never even thought about her eyes, the photo has been softened a little, I have wondered if I should get to her eyes with unsharp mask, what do you think???? or shoulkd I just leave it alone?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 2:39 PM   #8

I would say the way you have it in your post looks aces. But look at the original, at the light reflected in her eyes. There might not be any significant difference. It reminded me of a photo I was working on where I could really see a dramatic change in the appeal of it, as I softened it's appearance. In my case, I could not alter it as I wanted to, without diminishing the reflection of light in the eyes. Choosing what I thought looked best overall, I left it as I shot it. But that was one photo out of zillions. (A little hyperbole) What piqued my curiousity was that lttle bit of light in the little girls eyes. Reminded me... but it's a home run the way it is. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote