Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:19 PM   #1

Here is my favorite out of the shots I took. It was late afternoon and the sun was dropping behind some trees (this was the only time they had available), so we had pretty drastic shade and some bright rays of sun no matter where I positioned them. I had gone to the site and picked out potential sites ahead of time, but the sun drops so quickly that it was hard to do.

Anyway, please give me some feedback...

PS...the idea was to show the family rivalry common between the Vikings and Packers...

THANKS!

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:23 PM   #2

Here is the other one I like. However, her face caught the one ray of light coming through and it didn't look so bright at the time. I only have Elements 2.0 and I can't seem to fix it. I'm thinking from past posts by PS users that curves could fix this?! I've tried levels and the burn tool (?) and I just can't get it.

IDEAS?? HELP??

I also tried it in black and white and I liked it a lot except for her washed out face.

Thanks for any help or comments!!

Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:30 PM   #3

I tried to use the AV mode to keep the depth of field deep enough for all to be in focus, and the F/13 seemed to be good, but even with ISO 400, that meant a 1/6 shutter speed in the shade.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For the Viking/Packer shot, I used ISO 100, F/5.6, 1/60.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I used some fill flash but I was scared because the flash had always washed out what I was doing, too.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:03 PM   #4

The background in the first distracts because it is two different colors. The second one drops the left side of the shot into shadow while the lady has her face lit up. I like the second one the best for composition.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5

I hope you dont mind but I played around with these shots, quick jobs so they need to be done better than this but this is what I would do with them. Maybe not your taste but an Idea for them.

Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:59 AM   #6

and the second shot again, this time I worked on the womans face a little more. Not sure if I can get it any better:roll:

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:12 PM   #7

Re your first pic...you are outnumbered!

But...the four Vikings rely on you, a Packer, to feed them?

Respectully, I suggest a crop with a slight boost in brightness, contrast and sharpness.

Re your second pic...

Perhaps, "next time" reposition all folks so everyone's face is in the sun.

All in all, two GREAT famiy pics!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:25 PM   #8

I told the lady that neither team had much to brag about after this past weekend!!

Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:18 AM   #9

I actually like the re-worked 2nd shot the best, because it came the closest to what I assume is a desired effect. I like the Packers versus Vikings theme in the top photo, but the re-worked version is just too harsh, - and obvious. I think that you could have achieved an attractive version of this, if you had bracketed your fill flash, increasing by 1/3 of an f-stop (flash setting) throughout a full 2 f-stops. Two nice ideas, but you were defeated by the light. Try it again, and I'll bet you can do better. Just my thoughts.

Ward
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:22 PM   #10

I like the family rivalry one, but GO VIKES!!! actually i don't follow football whatsoever.. but i heard we got our.. erm.. bums kicked...

digcamfan- "But...the four Vikings rely on you, a Packer, to feed them?" what makes you think the woman most definately feeds the men? just wondering, maybe hte man cooks. I have lots of friends where the males cook and the women work.

I love the natural scenery of the ssecond one. and is that not you wisconsin girl? unless you refer to yourself in 3rd person I'd assume it's not??
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote