Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:12 AM   #1

Pcitures fromlast night's shoot with my wife (in our lounge). Any comments, particularly on my lighting technique would be gratefully received.

I just bought a set of four interfit colorflash 300i heads and a few bits and pieces. This is the first time I've shot portraits with them! Most of these were done with a small softbox, a white trans. umbrella for fill and a snoot hairlight behind. Aperture was around f19 for most of the time.

We've only done a few studio sessions together and we're learning about being on our respective sides of the lens!

I included this one 'cause I think it's a cute top and I quite fancy the model. Sorry!

martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:07 AM   #2

you have done pretty good, she should like these shots:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:39 PM   #3

I like the lighting the best (by far) on the second shot. I'm not sure why. Maybe the others seem a little washed out.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:57 AM   #4

i like the first and the second shots.
your lighting gives your wife a realistic look. though she's almost overexposed. very nice

the backlighting on #4 is good as well. i like the somewhat- halo effect on it. but her eyes, looks like you caught her when she wasn't ready.

personally, i like the pictures. good job

i guess having a babe for a wife and personnal model isn't so bad as well.

berto
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5

I'm new to the forum, but those are great shots. Your wife is very lovely. with her in the pics you could have used a box camera and had grate shots. LOL
fullload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 8:46 AM   #6

I agree that the shots and lighting are generally good-- here are my suggesions.
1) I agree with others that perhaps the pics are a bit washed out... I'm guessing that perhaps you wanted that look fr the model, but maybe lowering the light levels and boosting the contrast would help (the "black" background seems a little gray-ish, and more contrast might help the colors "pop").
2) Why did you shoot with such a stopped down f-stop? As a result, the background is in focus... but it's just a black sheet, which I find slightly distracting. Move the model away from the background (if possible) and shoot at f/4 or so (with really fast shutter speed since you've got all that light) to get more depth of field and blur the background.
3) The final shot doesn't have to be a throwaway... I could imagine a number of very nice poses to accentuate the back of the top (and her lovely neck and shoulders). Perhaps you could have had her raise her left arm, putting her left hand just below her hairline, then place her right hand away from her body, perhaps at about a 30 degree angle, resting on a chair or something, with her head turned slightly toward her right hand. (does that make any visual sense?) Or you could have her "hug" herself, while looking to one side and curving her torso in sort of an "s" shape. Of course, what do I know... but they're just some ideas.

Hope you post more for us... your wife is quite beautiful.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:12 PM   #7

they are just great.

i really liked them all, espesially the last one.

a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:25 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm really happy with the pictures, both photographically and personally! I'll pass on your compliments, self-esteem is important for our wives (and makes them more happy to pose again!)

I'm not completely satisfied with the colour myself either. I optimised the levels in photoshop, perhaps a little too much; nothing was meant to be white in some of the pictures. What kind of white balance settings do people use in the studio? (I'm using a D70). Next time I think I'll shoot RAW and edit better.

I shot at a high f stop because the lights were close in a smallish room. I could have got them further back with a bit more effort, but I actually just felt I could stand the sharpness, coming from a coolpix 5700 with maximum f8 aperture and very bad AF. Stupid really, but I'm still getting used to the luxury of a DSLR!

Posing is something I really want to work on. It's no good having perfect camera technique (not that I do) if you can't encourage the subject to relax and look their best. I'll try and post some more soon - delighted to be asked!
Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:50 AM   #9

Here are some more photos:

Interestingly, they look different in explorer to photoshop. Less colour. They are more vibrant in photoshop (and hopefully in print!)

I love the way the shadows go across her chest when her shoulders are turned away from the light.

We did try a bit of a pose with her back. What do you think of this one?

Some more white ones.

This one was from a different shoot, with film! I think I used this one for my yellow pages ad.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. I hope these pictures haven't bored you!

Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:51 PM   #10

:gasp:: film?? What's film?? (Just kidding). They're great. I like the back/profile shot... I think there are a lot of options... and the one you've given is nice.
great!
~kjk
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote