Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the ideas. I'm still not sure how much I will get into this type of photography (posed, modeling) as I also need to feed my interests in sports and nature photography :-) But it may be worth looking to see if I can find some cheap backdrops and a light - and the suggestion for looking at magazines/pictures for my poses and just copying is a great idea (especially since it's free). All of it is the type of info I was hoping to get from all of you. Thanks!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:32 AM   #12

Nice pics JohnG. I also take similar type of pics of my wife. Unfortunately, my digital cam is a 6 yr old Kodak DC210. Can you say barely a megapixel?! One day down the road I will get a better camera, when I can afford it. I am learning new things all the time. My biggest thing is with lighting and shadows. If I use the camera flash, then it will do a lot of washout. I've managed a "poor mans" lighting system suggested somewhere else. It is better than from before, but it can be a whole bunch better. Here's one taken the other day. I need to learn better light placement and get some real lighting at that. Critiques accepted. Let me have it (bracing for the pounding).

*Photo removed as to not offend anone, although there was no nudity....
woodsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:57 PM   #13

I'll comment (probably not what you were expecting though). You are dancing awfully close to the "might need a nude warning in the title" line...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:06 PM   #14

My comment...my eye tells me it could benefit from more contrast. Your comment about washed out comes to mind, although this isn't that bad. Perhaps your camera has limitations in this area, but the remedy for that until you get another one, is practice. Lots of great comments and advice here too. Compare, and note the type of pics that catch your eye, and pick ones you think you can do yourself. I love digital cameras because the practice is free. All you need is you, the camera, and your subject. And you can see the results instantly, or next to it. Makes for rapid improvement or at least a chance to improve what you did wrong. The headboard, or whatever the railing is in the pic, detracts. A solid background works better. I think that is suggested in this post somewhere too. And rather than that much of a straight on view of just the back of the head, a somewhat more angular pose with at least a bit more profile might draw more attention. Those are my observations. My credentials are simply 20/20 eyesight and a love of photography. Good luck, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:33 PM   #15

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I'll comment (probably not what you were expecting though). You are dancing awfully close to the "might need a nude warning in the title" line...

Of all the people to say that Kalypso...just when I had your back on the New Nude Year...lol...yeah, but it wasn't nude. Unless someone can get offended by a bare back....but then you never know....:blah:

Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:40 PM   #16

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
My comment...my eye tells me it could benefit from more contrast. Your comment about washed out comes to mind, although this isn't that bad. Perhaps your camera has limitations in this area, but the remedy for that until you get another one, is practice. Lots of great comments and advice here too. Compare, and note the type of pics that catch your eye, and pick ones you think you can do yourself. I love digital cameras because the practice is free. All you need is you, the camera, and your subject. And you can see the results instantly, or next to it. Makes for rapid improvement or at least a chance to improve what you did wrong. The headboard, or whatever the railing is in the pic, detracts. A solid background works better. I think that is suggested in this post somewhere too. And rather than that much of a straight on view of just the back of the head, a somewhat more angular pose with at least a bit more profile might draw more attention. Those are my observations. My credentials are simply 20/20 eyesight and a love of photography. Good luck, best regards,

KennethD

Thanks Kenneth. Actually that was not the washout I was talking about. I didn't use the flash on that camera and have learned over the years, that if I'm trying to make the pics look better, that it's best not to use the flash on it for the most part. The lighting was from homemade still lighting. Of course there was some change to the picture using photoshop to enhance some contrast and etc.

Unfortunately that camera has no settings with exception of flash on/off, red eye reduction, etc. I have to really work at things to make things look half decent. But one day I will get a much better camera. But for only a megapixel, I think it does ok. I posted that picture because her face isn't showing in it....I did it on purpose. I wish i could show some with face as there are some better ones. I also dod one of the two of us together that in b&w it looks awesome. It's not showing nudity, but we were both nude in it. It's a great picture and I only wish it was done with a better camera with better resolution so that I could get it printed at a decent size.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:58 PM   #17

woodsters wrote:
Quote:
Of all the people to say that Kalypso...just when I had your back on the New Nude Year...lol...yeah, but it wasn't nude. Unless someone can get offended by a bare back....but then you never know....:blah:
Ahhh...the key sentence revealed: "Unless someone can get offended by a bare back....but then you never know..." Personally, I love nudity (we're all naked under our clothes).
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:31 PM   #18

I am not offended by the pic. But for those who look at this forum at work, it would be nice to be warned. Employers don't like employees looking at lingerie pics during lunch. :-)
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote