Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:08 PM   #11
JS

The file size is a problem. Most of the files average between 605 - 730 KB. The one I posted on here was originally 746,118 before reducing it so it could be posted on the forum. We are still working on trying to get the negatives, hopefully we can. If I do I'll try scanning them on my Epson 4870 and see how they look from that. If I can't get good scans that way then I'll have them professionally scanned (assuming we can get them). John
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:54 PM   #12

JS wrote:
Quote:
The file size is a problem. Most of the files average between 605 - 730 KB. The one I posted on here was originally 746,118 before reducing it so it could be posted on the forum. We are still working on trying to get the negatives, hopefully we can. If I do I'll try scanning them on my Epson 4870 and see how they look from that. If I can't get good scans that way then I'll have them professionally scanned (assuming we can get them). John
The file size is THE problem. These have been compressed too far to give good prints much above 4x6. I would say 5x7 would be the maximum quality wise. I'm betting, realistically, the photographer isn't going to give up the negatives. But he may rescan them for you. Either way, when you edit and resave a JPG file ALWAYS<ALWAYS<ALWAYS save at maximum quality to introduce as little noise as possible. You should realistically be able to get a decent 8x10 from a 35mm scan.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:24 PM   #13
JS

Anything above 4x6 does start looking bad. The photographer is a family friend of my wife's parents so he said he'd give us the rights to the photos. He was supposed to be doing the wedding and prints for his cost only so with any luck he may turn the negatives over to us since he won't be profiting from them. We will find out tonight and go from there. John
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:04 PM   #14

I hate to say this, but if it the same as the studios I used to work for, the images are intentionally downsized and compressed to prevent printing. The wedding CD or now DVD's are produced and given for on-line viewing onTV or projector only.

It can'thurt to ask for the negatives or high rez scans, but Iwould not hold out too much hope to get them.

If you check your contract with the studio, or somewhere in the photographers info, it will most probably show that the photographer/studio retains ownership of the the negatives and if contacted they will offer to sell you reprints. I suspect it will be very unlikely they will hand over the negatives, some studios do release the negatives and offer you the chance to purchase them after 15-20 or so years, just before they purge their files.

It is a standard practice to do this in the wedding/portrait business.

In the US and many other countriesthe photographer/studio owns thecopyright to the images by default. Canada is backwards (as usual, for now weddings and portraiture are considered Work for Hire)and we have to specify the ownership rights in the contract. Bill S-9 is making it's slow way through the legislature to correct this and bring Canadian photographerscopyright rights more into line with the rest of the world.

Sorry for the long winded reply, it is a sore point for the people in the industry here.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:10 PM   #15

Hi John,

Welcome to the form and congratulations on your wonderful life event! :-)

One thing you may want to consider is to ask the photographer for the unedited photos from your wedding.

Then, contact a whiz kid at a local college who would be willing to fix them up for you for a local fee.

Good luck

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote