Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:59 PM   #1
JS

We were recently married and I just received the photos from our photographer. This particular shot was done on a 35mm SLR and then he told us he edits the photos in photoshop before printing them. He sent us some 4x6 prints and all of the files on CD. We'd like to print some 8x10s and additional prints but as you can see the quality is very poor. We have Microsoft Digital Image 10.0 and Photoshop ELements 2.0 and have tried editing the photos there but we can't get rid of the grainy look is there any other software we can try that might help to save these photos? These are the only photos we have of our wedding so we are hoping there is something we can do to salvage some of them. Thanks, John
Attached Images

JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:52 PM   #2

I think the problem you are going to have is that the scan lacks to begin with. Someone with some noise reduction software would probably be able to do better but here's my stab with an unsharp mask in photoshop. Not much improvement I'm afraid.. If you want the uncompressed version, I can send it if you wish but it's half a Mb in size and it exceeds the limit here.

Keep in mind my monitor is on the fritz so I'm unable to really see everything that others may see.

Jeff
Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:58 PM   #3

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:16 PM   #4

If you have or can get the negatives try having them professionally scanned by a lab.If this is not possible try scanning the prints on a better scanner.
Dale
daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:01 PM   #5

Here is my attempt. Used neatimage. Haven't used it that much so it may be able to do more, but anyway thought i would post.
Attached Images

bishopprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:26 PM   #6

Hi John,

I've had a bit of a play with your photo using a combination of Paint Shop Pro and Neatimage.I've taken the liberty of cloningout some elementsof the photo, I hope you don't mind me doing so. Some of what I've done is quite rough but at least it gives you an initial idea of what can be achieved.

Are all of your photos like the one you've postedor are thereones that are better in overall composition and qualitybut with just the 'noise' factor ?

If you can salvage the photos that you've had taken then greatbut if you can't, have youby chance thought about havingsome of the key photos retaken where you got married? I know it's not ideal but at least then you would be able to have some quality photos of the two of you in your wedding outfits.

Regards,

Brian

Attached Images

stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:24 AM   #7
JS

Thanks for the help. All of the pictures from our wedding need editing both for composition and noise, we've got 130 or so photos to do. I'm going to contact the photographer tomorrow to see if we can get the negatives. If we can't get them I guess we will have to try Neatimage or something else to remove the noise. I guess MS Digital Image and Photo Elements don't have any good tools for removing the noise, either that or we haven't found them yet. John
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:11 AM   #8

I hope you can sort out your photos, heres one I played with. I think compressing distored it though.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #9

The first thing I would be doing is checking the file sizes on the cd. Most consumer cd's (ie kodak picture disk and the like record at 1.5mp which gives you about a 4mb file). This is just fine for 4x6 (for which it was intended) but pretty useless for anything else. At this point you should either request a full set of prints (which you can scan on a flatbed ) or request a higher res film scan cd (usually availible from a pro photo house). Most people even some professionals aren't aware of this. So I would press your photgrapher into having it done for you.

Hope this helps...TDT
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:18 AM   #10

Didn't have much time so I don't know about this, but rather post it than do it and then not post it :-)
Attached Images

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote