Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:10 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Here's an impish little girl being entertained at dinner time by her mommy. Just in case there's anyone who doesn't know yet, her name is Lauren.

I was using the 20D's built-in flash with a diffuser over it, but because I was shooting head-on the light from the window added to the exposure equally. Her face was not lit by the key light, but because of the flash there was enough detail in the shot to make something of it. I used a channels adjustment layer and then altered the levels to bring up the detail in her face.

I think this technique is a definite improvement over what I was doing previously and maybe rescued a shot that wasn't very well lit.

What do you think?
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

And another shot that was cropped and had a levels adjustment that made all the difference I think.

I also had to run NeatImage over it because it was shot at ISO3200.

These are my girls cuddling up with the snow outside making us glad we didn't have to go out.

Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

Both look great! Awesome job on the b/w conversion.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:55 PM   #4

Lovely shots, just the kind of thing I want to capture more frequently of my own Special Girls.

I'm interested to know what you're using to diffuse the 20D's built in flash? I've been reading accounts of people coming up with all kinds of "home brew" solutions and want to give this a try myself. Is your diffuser a "home brew" or something off the shelf?
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:49 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hah - well.

Over in the Canon EOS forum I was advised to get a Sigma 500 DG Super flashgun. So I ordered it online, I also ordered a Sto-fen diffuser which attaches to it. Unfortunately they delivered the wrong flash, it was for a Sigma not Canon camera. So I am stuck with just the on-camera flash until they deliver the new one on Monday. Anyway - as an experiment I just took the sto-fen diffuser and put it over the top of the built-in flash. It doesn't fit snugly, but as long as you don't wave the camera about it doesn't fall off either.

However - it's really just a bit of white plastic - so a cap from a roll-on de-odourant would work just as well I'm sure.

I actually use the website to browse and order by phone from http://www.warehouseexpress.com use the menus on the left to browse to flashguns then stofen for a picture.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:32 AM   #6

Ahh, thank you for the information and for the link! I think I might try heading down the "home brew" route for the built in flash and see about something a little more professional when my budget permits me to invest in something a little better. It'll be interesting to see what results can be obtained using the "deodorant cap" method.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:24 AM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
And another shot that was cropped and had a levels adjustment that made all the difference I think.

I also had to run NeatImage over it because it was shot at ISO3200.

These are my girls cuddling up with the snow outside making us glad we didn't have to go out.
Very happy and content looking family. Very nice to look at, no wonder you have that big smile, beauties... both of 'em. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:06 AM   #8

lovely child, I love the black and white, she is just waytoo cute:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote