Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:15 PM   #1

Came across a photographer's self portrait recently, here I think, someold guy, posed with an arm up around his neck somewhere, nice pose in black and white. Anyway, I thought, wow...if this old guy did a self portrait, maybe more of us old guys should do the same. I'm 58, got a lot of miles on me, and it shows. I have had to use myself as a subject, because like Julie, my 16 yr old boy won't oblige me. So, when that happens and I can't get Jessica to work with me, I'll jump in and experiment away on my own. Forgive the pose (or lack of) but as I'm fond of pointing out, I'm a newb. (er...old newb) Best regards,:|

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:50 PM   #2

Hi KennethD,

You may be surprised by lack of response to your self portrait...300+ views and counting.

So, I thought I would respond!

In all your posts and a few PMs to me, you are always friendly and cordial.

So, this photo, though interesting...seems to conflict with your friendly persona on the forum.

Perhaps, that is why nobody else posted a reply...I don't know.

FYI, you have more courage than me! :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:32 PM   #3

Hi KennethD,

If I tried taking a pic like that of myself, I would break my brand new camera. Like you though i try out ideas on myself(thank god for the delete button).

Regards

Bob M
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

Hi Kenneth;

I wouldn't be too concerned at how you look at... 58??? Those are some pipes you have there! And what's that??? Hair? Be proud, my man!

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:41 PM   #5

Ha...ya, I know! But don't forget it's freezing here! I shoot in the garage, and have a forced air heater, but man, it takes a while to warm up. You have to stand like that to keep from shivering sometimes, but anyway, I get a lot of good ideas about what light I can use etc, in my limited and improvised surroundings. And unless I'm looking right at the camera I can't tell when it will fire, so ya, I have a pinched expression... if I exhaled you'd see my breath! (no wonder I can't get the young lad to pose for me without a struggle) We had temperatures above freezing all week, so maybe I'll try for a more relaxed look. Best regards.

K..K...K...KennethD

No I haven't been offered any modeling contracts...
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:59 PM   #6

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Hi KennethD,

You may be surprised by lack of response to your self portrait...300+ views and counting.

So, I thought I would respond!

In all your posts and a few PMs to me, you are always friendly and cordial.

So, this photo, though interesting...seems to conflict with your friendly persona on the forum.

Perhaps, that is why nobody else posted a reply...I don't know.

FYI, you have more courage than me! :-)
Greetings my friend,

I've always believed that the less photogenic a person is, the more potential for an interesting photo. I wouldn't have the first foggy notion about how to pose, etc. What I try to do when I get the time and I need answers to my lighting questions is just go for it and try it out on myself. I saw other posts in other forums where a whole string of people introduced themselves to one another on that forum, and thought if I posted my mug shot, and a couple of particulairs, it couldn't do any harm. Sort of got double mileage out of my lighting experiments. Might have been smarter to wait until July instead of Febuary. My sense of humor, like my posing skills may be a little dull, but it's non toxic. Isn't that you in your avatar? See, you were a pioneer, setting a fine example for me. Best regards,

KennethD

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7

Bob Mevis wrote:
Quote:
Hi KennethD,

If I tried taking a pic like that of myself, I would break my brand new camera. Like you though i try out ideas on myself(thank god for the delete button).

Regards

Bob M
I lke the notion of taking chances, I haven't broken my lense yet...but don't HIT that delete button. Post your portrait. People often wonder out loud whether they'd rather win the lottery, or win my nose full of nickles. It's the spirit that counts, not the (blush...) looks. Thanks for looking! Best regards,

KennethD
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kenneth;

I wouldn't be too concerned at how you look at... 58??? Those are some pipes you have there! And what's that??? Hair? Be proud, my man!

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Ah, a fellow Canuck! Bet it's even colder where you are! Yes, retirement suits me. I get time to work out, and watch my receding hairline. I have said before, this site is the best. And I'll say it again...Winter seemed to fly by this year, thanks to all the fabulous stuff on Steve's. March's here already, and it seems like yesterday I was groaning about having to get through winter again. Tomorrow I start a digital photography course, and if I learn anything, you might see a somewhat more aesthetic portrait soon. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:16 PM   #9

Hi Kenneth,

I don't usually come to this part of the forum - and here today, not only a pic of you as a flying bird, but as Tarzan relaxing too!

It's so nice putting faces to names...

abw

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:51 PM   #10

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kenneth,

I don't usually come to this part of the forum - and here today, not only a pic of you as a flying bird, but as Tarzan relaxing too!

It's so nice putting faces to names...

abw

Canna
Thanks, Canna. Steve's does seem like home after a while doesn't it? I read more here than I do the newspaper. Newspaper is so full of gloom and doom! The things we can do when we are young. I'm glad to have had a camera around in those days...it just never occured to me I'd live long enough to grow old....uh....ol...old...ER that is. There's a lesson here for all you young whippersnappers...eh...hmmm....whut wazzit now...???? oh well, Best regards,

KennethD