Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

If you don't mind, I'll add a comment who this is and what the situation was at the time of shooting later, after a few comments [if it is worth commenting on]Isee a lot of expression in this oldman's face, and I really like the pic.

I haven't really shot any people pics yet, so this a first for me on this forum.

Regards

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It's a very nice shot Jake.

It breaks some of the rules and runs into an intractible problem - how to expose correctly for someone wearing a dinner jacket.

The picture requires a bit more from the viewer than a studio shot would: the bright area on his shirt is so bright that it naturally pulls the eye away from his face. Having said that however - it's a very interesting face and is full of character. To counter the contrast "rule" we have a rule that says that people want to look at faces. The angle is also interesting, it's makes the subject seem imposing, and the subject is looking up, making him look (I'm struggling for the right word) inspired or determined or idealistic.

My wife suggests increasing the contrast even more, make a virtue out of the difficulty of the shirt. (And she is by far the best judge of a good picture I know.)

I've boosted the contrast and done some extra sharpening to give you an idea of what we think.

Clearly though this is very monitor dependent. The proof would be in the print.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:09 PM   #3

Hi Craig, yes that extra contrast DOES do it justice, it certainly boosts what I'm looking at. The dinner jacket - I really would have preferred to not have it there [but he was wearing thetux, and I couldn't ask him to take it off at the time [or even afterwards]

Maybe what I can try ismask the shirt on the original and keep levels down until the last. The face area is a bit small on it's own, and needs the "length" for perspective. Anyway, thanks for replying. What I will do a bit later is to post the original pic. I sort of saw things like - deep intense anger, maybe at God, almost a fanatical look of stubborn defiance, resistance,intense dissappointment [something like that - which the suit doesn't really suit, the suit would be more suitable in a more festive mood]

Thanks for the input - BTW I used your B&W method, it's quite amazing how different and better it is than straight de-saturation

Regards from a "cool" SA
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4

Very nicely done. As peripatetic says, this shot does pose some problems, but the strength of its subject is such that it works... well. A lighter background or less-white shirt would not have attracted us to the character of the face.

There are some fine details in the shirt and in the lower background which are not quite lost. (edit... it occurs to me that you probably have intended this as it is...) I hope you don't mind that I played around with this a bit. Nothing fancy, just an overlay layer of neutral grey, on which I painted white and black to suit.

This is a man I would like to meet.

regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:06 AM   #5

Interesting expression for sure. I paused to look at it carefully before proceeding on to the replies. True the shirt does glare at the viewer, but the intensity of that facial stare does command attention. I like the detail in the face brought out in Peripatetic's edit but also like the way the material in the shoulder of the jacket helps ease the shouting of the shirt, in Tom's. Good shot...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments, Peri, Tom and Kenneth - As I mentioned, I saw a LOT in this man's expression, the shot was taken candidly [not posed], and i have posted the original below - I suppose part of what interests me in the expression,it is [or should be] totally unrelated to the situation. This is a shot of my 72 yr old father in law taken this past weekend at their 50th wedding anniversary, and as can be seen below, he's busy dancing with his daughter, who is my wife of 25 years !! I can only presume that his mind must have flashed off somewhere, and the camera caught the moment of expression [in a flash]. The flash exposure was a tad bright, and i think if I ever did wedding type stuff again, I would use a diffuser of sorts on the flash. It is a 420 EX, some pics came out OK, others were quite harsh.

Anyway that's the story behind this pic - Apart from "that" expression of whatever was going through his mind at the time, we/he had a ball, and even at 72yrs old, he gave usgood entertainment, "getting down" to the tune ofSteppenwolf's Born to be Wild.

EDIT : This pic shows the advantage of an 8mp file where quite a bit was cropped to get the "face" on it's own yet the quality of the faceis still quite good

Regards
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:48 AM   #7

"Getting Down"
Attached Images

Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:59 PM   #8

Surpise!!! Last thing I expected was to see him dancing. Great crop...really capitalized on this expression. Best regards...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote