Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:10 PM   #1

This is a photo of my daughters first day of Kindergarten. Since this was taken way back in 1987, I wanted to give it a "grainey" look. I didn't have the heart to change it to black and white simply because I spent alot of time picking out the wool for those sweaters and Ilena spent alot of time picking out her outfit!!

Rose
Attached Images

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

just curious... is that what it would have looked like if shot with a 51200 film speed?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:02 AM   #3

...um......yes....that's exactly it...:O

actually, I have no clue. perhaps we could post that question and then we will both know!

it's a photo i took and played around with on photoshop. it's new program and i'm experimenting and just learning. it is fun though!!

Rose
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That's a super shot and the grainy treatment is wonderful.

I have to agree with Pierre on another thread though; I hope you're not too attached to that weird border thing you do - I think it's dreadful to the point of almost spoiling some very nice pictures.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:27 PM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with Pierre on another thread though; I hope you're not too attached to that weird border thing you do - I think it's dreadful to the point of almost spoiling some very nice pictures.
Craig, do you not think that the "weird border thing" is in context with this image ? I do. Particularly with the graininess in this photo. Admittedly, borders are subjective, we don't all like them and we don't like them all, but I think this one is OK.

mommy_culleton, come clean now. You're just showing off your knitting skills aren't you ?

Nice edit.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6

Thank you Stevekin!!

I like the border for this one because, and this sounds sappy, it is a "memory" shot and when you are remembering moments in time, is there not a haziness about it??? (actually, the older I get, the more hazey it is

I have a follow up to this pose that brings a tear to my eye...you see the back of each of them...William is waving good-bye to his big sister as she climbs the school steps. It's beautiful.

(Not only am I showing off my knitting skills, but my kids too.) They are all grown up now but special days like that one will always be a touching moment.

Thanks for the input,

Rose
Old May 17, 2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Steve & mommy_c

I must admit that I'm not a fan of fuzzy borders in general, and I can hardly think of any examples where I find I like them. Now I'm quite happy to admit that I'm not generally a fan of soft focus sentimental photos or scenes in movies for that matter, I know that some people do but it always makes me go "Oh please! Yuck!". My wife is a film editor and also feels the same way, whenever she sees a dissolve, particularly in a sentimental or romantic shot, she gets very irritated and feels the editor needs a good talking to.

Can it ever work? Well to me if you've got a poor or very average snapshot with lots of distracting stuff around the edges then you might want to use it to focus on the centre of the frame. I've just thought of a metaphor - it's like the editing equivalent of a Big Mac. I know that lots of people eat them, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. :-)

I hope no offense was taken, because it really is a great shot, and my reaction probably says more about me than the treatment.

[Edit] Sorry about the long delay in replying, lost the plot, missed the thread, something like that.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8

Craig, absolutely no problems with personal taste and preference. I just asked if you thought in this particular photo, that it looked in place. (I still do). No need to apologise if you don't. I'm sure that, like me, Rose has not taken any offense.

I do, however, agree about Big Macs. I occasionally eat them, but can't for the life of me figure out why :?.

Best...

Steve.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 6:48 AM   #9

peripat,
sorry, I couldn't remember how to spell the rest of your name . I'll just call you "peri".

Anyway, thanks for the apology and no offense was taken. It DID spark a few good jokes though so thanks for the fun.

Back to the border thing.......I was experimenting with a new program and got carried away. I still think it fits for this photo however but you'll be happy to know that I don't use borders anymore. I don't realy like frames around artwork, I like the peice to stand by itself. You can check out my other posts. I think you'll be happy.

Rose
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:17 AM   #10

Follow up posted as William and Ilena, Graduation Day