Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1

Granddaughter in dreamland. Tried 3 times to post this picture and finally discovered that size was too large. I don't know why picture is so small now compared to other posts. This was the only size I could get to be accepted.
Attached Images

looscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:53 PM   #2

Aah, that's a lovely shot, reminds me of when our Grandson used to sleep more than he was awake. Now 18 months old, he fights the sleep just in case he misses something :roll:.

About the resizing issue....................the pic you posted is 526 x 350 pixels and the file size is 213.8kb. Below is the same pic measuring 640 x 426 pixels and 39kb.

If you use Windows XP, Iwould suggest you download ImageResizer from Microsoft PowerToys, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Scroll down on the right. It's free, only 512kb download and when you've installed the program you will have several size options simply by right clicking on a photo and choosing Resize Pictures. It makes a copy, leaving the original alone. I use it all the time for posting images and generally use small or medium.

I have a Dimage A2 with fairly hefty file sizes and even after PP I just use ImageResizer and the files are always well under the required.

This was the Small option. Hope this helps for future posting and I look forward to seeing more.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your very kind comment and especially the information you furnished about photo size which was very helpful. The picture was taken with a Canon EOS 20D using a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Of course the 20D produces very large files as does your camera. I tried reducing the picture in Photo Shop 2 supplied by Canon and a Nikon program that I had for my old CP5700 with the same results. In order to get below 250K the picture had to be shrunk to a very small size. I will try the program you suggest but I can't believe the same results are not able to be obtained in the programs I already have. I just don't think I have the skills. Anyway thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I see you are from the UK. My wife is from Warrington between Liverpool and Manchester.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:48 PM   #4

I'm in Coventry, about a Hundred miles or so from where your wife is from. I take it you're not from the UK though.

I find ImageResizer the simplest way to reduce the file size but it is fairly simple using Elements 2 as well. When you have finished editing your photo go to File/Save As, then choose the location, name the file and selectJpeg for the file type,click Save. In the box that appears, move the slide control to adjust the compression/quality setting. Small file to the left means lower file size and lower quality, to the right means bigger and better. But not in this instance, we want the smaller file size so as you move the slider to the left keep an eye on the file size at the bottom of the box. It shows the file size, the time it will take to download at the chosen connection speed.

Another option is to Save For Web. This lets you choose the compression again but also discards the Exif Info, thus reducing the file further.

Always remember to Save your image at the highest quality (lowest compression) for printing and archiving first, you can then do it again for posting but add something like 'posting' after the file name. (so you don't overwrite the keeper).

Sorry if I have gone over anything you already know.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:19 PM   #5

I downloaded the image resizer program you suggested and it is indeed very easy to use. I will also try the PS 2 options you suggested which I wasn't aware of. I was using the resize image option in the program and just doing it by percentage trial and error -- didn't quite understand how it worked to arrive at any predetermined size. Just a dumb Yank. I'm in your debt sir. Ta very much as my wife would say and tara for now as they say up in Cheshire and Lancashire.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:29 PM   #6

You're welcome Looscanon, and regards to your wife from oop north.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #7

beautiful photo, just looking at her profile, those eyelashes and pouty lips!,She's gorgeous:!:it looks to me as if shes going to be a really pretty girl, time will fly and you will be keeping those boys as bay before you know it:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:09 PM   #8

Thanks for your very nice comments. Of course we love her very much and I thought the picture caught the wonderful innocence of the faces of all babies when they sleep.