Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:24 PM   #1

Greetings Everyone!

The minute I took this photo of my girlfriend I knew it was going to be a special one (even just from viewing the camera LCD screen).What do YOU think?

It wastaken in April, Romania after quite a few hours of mountain walking (through mud, melting snowand ice at times) and maybe that's what contributed to her expression.

Her expression here is quite a rare one, usually she's much more bubbly / open smile, but this makes for an interesting change (what I call "haunting") and maybe I can't explain why, but it's a photo I like very much! :-)

When she had turned around waiting for me to catch up, her face was so unique, so I asked her to freeze (my camera was already in my hand) and the outcome (photo 2 seconds later) was just as I wanted it (focus and lighting and everything happened to be quite right!)

Like to hear your thoughts on the photo and any post processing tips! :?

Thanks!! :G
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:34 PM   #2

Well I guess maybe it's a good idea to put a more "normal / usual" photo of my girlfriend here too, so people can see what a more common expression of hers is!

So, this below is hermore "normal / usual" (a few months before the first picture, admittedly - you can see from her face having less tan in the first picture, effects of a European winter).

All the best!!
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:20 PM   #3

The first photo is indeed an excellent shot of a beautiful girl in a pensive mood. As to post-processing, I think I would probably try blurring the background a bit more, and possibly trying a tighter crop. Another way to go might be to desaturate the background.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:42 PM   #4

Very nice photos, especially the first one. Shadows and Highlights are correctly balanced. And the aperture was large enough that it threw the background out of focus. Good Lighting as well. fantastic job!!!!

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:14 AM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
The first photo is indeed an excellent shot of a beautiful girl in a pensive mood. As to post-processing, I think I would probably try blurring the background a bit more, and possibly trying a tighter crop. Another way to go might be to desaturate the background.

brian

"Pensive mood" - now there's a good description! Thanks for the words, as well as the advice.Appreciate your thoughts :roll:

By "desaturate the background" do you mean that the background maybe has a bit too much brightness or colour in it, and by being a little "desaturated" it would help bring out the face a bit more?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Very nice photos, especially the first one. Shadows and Highlights are correctly balanced. And the aperture was large enough that it threw the background out of focus. Good Lighting as well. fantastic job!!!!

-Travis-

Thanks also Travis!

Yes, I've just got to thank nature for great conditions for the shot, and maybe just the angle I was standing behind her when she turned around made it balanced and yet interesting with her "pensiveness". :?

When I took the photo (I was on auto mode - 200 iso) I was thinking it would probably have a large enough aperature to put the background out of focus a bit (coz it was fairly cloudy at the time) - and thankfully it did (as I see it chose an aperature of f4). Thanks again for your comments!

Paul
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:32 PM   #7

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:

By "desaturate the background" do you mean that the background maybe has a bit too much brightness or colour in it, and by being a little "desaturated" it would help bring out the face a bit more?
Yes, by lowering the level of the color in b/g , the subject will stand out more. A soft spot filter, which I used here, is another way, but, as you can see, also blurs part of the subject.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:17 AM   #8

Thanks Brian,

I see what you mean now, thanks for the work, also I get the idea with the tighter crop. Looks good. I guess with more fine tuning the subject could be kept unblurred... and the background more desaturated.

But it looks good. Cheers!

Paul
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:07 AM   #9

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
a few hours of mountain walking (through mud, melting snowand ice at times)
We all look forward to the results from even more 'interesting' expeditions which mayproduce even more interesting expressions! A few crossings of glacial rivers and some biting insects could provide good material. A really heavy rucksack would help, too. I've done all this to my wife, and she's still here after 25 years.

But maybe a few candle-lit dinners and the bright smiley face is a better idea.

Good luck.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:00 PM   #10

Hi Alan,

Well good to hear after 25 years you're together through thick n thin. I've done most of what you've said (heavy ruck sacks, but gotta admit my only real glacial experience was once in Switzerland) - but that was not with my girlfriend. :G

The worst "insect infested" area I've ever been in is the Danube Delta, east Romania - I'm Australian born, but even the bad places Down Under I visited didn't have the same "air thick with mosquitos" dimension as the Danube Delta!! Phew.

So maybe this summer I should go there with my girlfriend, camera ready in hand for plenty of "interesting" shots. Perhaps "pensive" would be then, an understatement. At least they would make interesting posts on this forum!! :lol:

Perhaps keeping a balance with enough candle lit dinners is a good idea (or your secret?) Thanks for your post!

So have YOU got any "interesting" posts of a hike we might see???? (waiting....!)

Paul