Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1

This is my stepson, Darvy. I took this shot when he was 5 years old. He was just sitting and enjoying the day. He is funny and has the most loving heart.

He is now 28 and unfortuntely has cystic fibrosis. He took a turn for the worse a few months ago and landed in hospital. The doctors then said that he needs a double lung transplant and that he needed one within 5 years. They sent him home. He is not eligible for a live donor transplant because he is over 6' tall. The new lungs wouldn't be big enough so he would have to wait for a deceased donor. Last night he phoned us to say that the doctors are not as optimistic anymore so he phoned to say his goodbyes.It's now a waiting game.

I didn't post this to bring anyone down but merely to stress the incredible importance of people signing their organ donor cards. You don't need vital organs when you are gone and they can save countless lives once donated. Please pass the word along. I can't pray for a donor, but I can pray that if someone passes, that they have signed their donor cards.

Rose
Attached Images

mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

Signed mine years ago.

Hang in there.

Tom
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

My thoughts and prayers are with you both and God bless, I have signed mine years ago.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:24 PM   #4

Mine is also signed but I will stress to others to sign theirs who havent done so!! May god be with you and your family.

mailwmr5
mailwmr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:40 AM   #5

Thanks, keep spreading the word!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:43 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing this personal and touching story, though it might have been hard for you to share such a "close to heart" story. I also have signed my donors card as soon as I was eligible to (16 in Australia when I was 16, anyway... some years ago now).

I pray if I pass away any valuable / healthy organs of mine can be used to help someone, and thus won't be just "mine" but be shared with someone (like your son) who will need them!

I believe the photo you took is a special one, thanks for sharing that also! Blessings

Paul (now in Romania)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:57 AM   #7

The wife and I signed up years ago Rose after hearing of a girl who died and through her death changed more than one life!

BigDawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:46 AM   #8

Ive been a donor for years. My hubby and our kids have all talked this subject through and as heartbreaking as a loss is, if any of us passed away we all want to give organs if needed. Someone i know lost a four year old girl after a tragic accident and she donated the little girls organs after they had to turn off life support, as far as I know these organs saved the lives of three people which is a comfort to her, at least some good came out of something so tragic.

I wish this young man in the photo all the best
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:50 PM   #9

My organs are so scared I'd be rejected. I've been to many a country where I see situations like this all the time. Hang in there. There are tons of happy endings.

Steve (Currently in Pakistan)
LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:40 AM   #10

my name is Shona and Darvy is my brother and I hope that everyone out there is getting thier cards signed so that people like my little brother get the help that they need. Its a hard thing to go through but hes home with us in bc and we all love him very much and are hoping he gets better and lives a long long long time.
darvy is offline   Reply With Quote