Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11

jp80.............I can't imagine how you came up with the idea through the photo that this is an amatuer musician!! The horn is held properly, the mouth is in proper position for playing and the expression is that of a musician who is "into" his music. And it's obvious that he was actually playing while the shot was taken.

I've been around musicians of all types for over 35 years now, mostly brass and woodwind, and trust me, I can tell a fake when I see one!

To prove my point, look at advertisments where someone is pretending to play something or watch commercials or movies. They are hillarious as to how akward the fakes are. They have no idea how to even HOLD an instrument let alone EVERYTHING else involved in being a musician.

Sorry to go on, but as a musician and being part of a family of musicians and 95% of people I associate with are musician, it's just one of those things that get under my skin!!!!

No offence, just needed to explain the difference.

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:42 PM   #12

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
jp80.............I can't imagine how you came up with the idea through the photo that this is an amatuer musician!!
just compare the first and second picture and your feelings.What I have written is only my interpretation and it´s great when the picture has something to tell me (you), a kind of story. And when seeing this photo it told me what I have written.

you took my answer too seriously!

jp80
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:09 PM   #13

Hi Tom,

I like all of them - lovely atmosphere- & how nice that you ended up with that close up.

Good to see you...

Caroline.

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:59 PM   #14

jp80,

I went back and looked at both shots again and I still don't see what you see. Photographicaly speaking, I prefer the first shot. It's more artistic and has more feel than the second one. But as far as this not being a real musician is concerned, I just don't :?see it.

Oh, and I did apologize for going on a bit long on the subject but it's one of those things that has bugged me for years. For example.........when watching a movie and there is a band playing....why can't they hire musicians rather than actors????

Anyway, if you can figure out how to explain what you see then let me know. I must be looking at thephoto a different way then you and seeing things differently. Anybody else got any takes on that let me know.

( Is this is a lesson in observation as well a photography?)

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:31 AM   #15

Rose, I know what you mean, my son plays saxophone, clarinet and guitar and frequently picks the faults in movies.:-)

The funniest photo I ever saw was an advertising photo for the digital rebel 300D when it first came out. It was a woman taking a shot with the LCD screen:lolretty funny considering the camera is SLR

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:10 AM   #16

Hey Tom, I was just browsing through and saw this pic : I must say the top pic looks very much like Mark Knopfler, except with trumpet, not guitar of course, and technically, the first pic looks like a journalists shot of a musician in action, I think it is well done.

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:15 PM   #17

The first two were good, but I really liked the third one best.

I'm not sure why, perhaps its because i was a trumpet player in my youth and my sister's been at it for around 20 years...and like you semi-professionally. Maybe i like it because it shows your connected to your instument.

of the first 2 i like the first one. IMHO it might be even better if the top 1/3 were cropped. i'm not sure, i've not tried it myself on that pic.

Keep at it !!!

PS, your avitar is GREAT!
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:29 PM   #18

gogriz321 wrote:
Quote:
The first two were good, but I really liked the third one best.

I'm not sure why, perhaps its because i was a trumpet player in my youth and my sister's been at it for around 20 years...and like you semi-professionally. Maybe i like it because it shows your connected to your instument.

of the first 2 i like the first one. IMHO it might be even better if the top 1/3 were cropped. i'm not sure, i've not tried it myself on that pic.

Keep at it !!!

PS, your avitar is GREAT!
Thanks. I too prefer the third shot, but mainly because it does not feature my face. :roll:I know it is dreadfully underexposed and grainy, but this shot pleases me the most.

I see what you mean about cropping. It's a little difficult to photograph yourself at any time, but from this extreme angle, I misjudged where I would be in the frame. I did choose the composition, butI could have placed myself a little higher and with the light not so harshly on my (shiny) head.

Thanks, all for the comments. (Mark Knopfler??? I wish.:-))

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:40 PM   #19

great shot. i too perform on trumpet and really like the third one the best, the noisy feel to it adds to the artistic feel. i know this is a late post, but i really like this shot, as well as the first one. if you clone out the spots that were on the lens. very nice.

is that a bach stradivarius? just curious.

take care
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:56 PM   #20

jedmag wrote:
Quote:
great shot. i too perform on trumpet and really like the third one the best, the noisy feel to it adds to the artistic feel. i know this is a late post, but i really like this shot, as well as the first one. if you clone out the spots that were on the lens. very nice.

is that a bach stradivarius? just curious.

take care

Bach Strad... I wish. It's just a student model King from about 25 years ago. I think they must have had a good year. I tried a bunch of horns, and kept coming back to this one. It felt really good and was in my price range. It has served me well over the years. It got me through the Halleluja Chorus yesterday.:-)

I too like the third shot best. (my face isn't in it) Besides, it is more universal/accessible; it's about the music and the instrument, not bald-headed musicians.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote