Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:46 PM   #1

Here is a picture of my little neice I took last week. Let me know what you all think. Any ideas on how to improve the shot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, jules
Attached Images

lil_pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:00 PM   #2

How can you improve on perfection? Other than be arrested for being too darn cute!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:23 PM   #3

This kid could teach some professional models a thing or two. In terms of improvement, all I would suggest is a little more colour saturation in her face (the object in the foreground is more saturated than her face) and a minor levels (or curves) adjustment to bring out the catch lights in her eyes.

Good work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the comment mommy-culleton. Her mom is very proud. She actually goes for her first modelling shoot this weekend. Hopefully you'll see more of this face.

Tom, what do you mean by curves? I don't know how to just up the saturation on one particular thing. Either the whole pic gets a boost which means the ball beneath her will always be more brighter and colourful. I am still getting used to my D70, and I just recently purchased Photoshop elements 3.0. I still consider myself a noob to photography. I do appreciate your comments though. I took a quick look at your site and your I really do like your work. Alot of great photos you got there. How long have you been into photography if you don't mind me asking?

Jules.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:10 PM   #5

Hey Jules;

I'm just a beginner with curves as well, though I understand that it is a very flexible tool in Photoshop. Elements 3 can do all you need to adjust this picture to perfection.

What you can do is open a curves dialogue, use the light eyedropper tool to select the catch-lights and raise the output level for that specific luminance level. (I'm sure if I have this wrong there is someone here who can correct me:roll If that makes the highlight in her berets too bright, you can hold those values in place with another eyedropper. (you have to hold the <Ctrl> key down and click with the eyedropper to select colours in your image.)

As I said, I'm sure someone can give a clearer explanation and correct my mistakes here, but Curves is definitely one of the tools that will help you here.

A slightly simpler approach is to select the area you want to adjust and apply hue/saturation to that area on its own. (you can create a separate layer - my preference - or work on your original layer if you prefer.) In the hue/saturation dialogure, you canadjust the saturation of all channelsor choose justthe yellows and greens, etc. If you want to get fancy you can use theeyedropper (again)to select a specific shade of yellow to adjust. I've also found that increasing the lightness a little helps when you are desaturating.

All this "advice" aside, your original shot is a winner. It's good practice to try different things in editing, the things you learn today will come in handy tomorrow... but only keep a change if you really like it. Besides, I've also found that understanding your chores in editing helps you when you plan a shot.

Thanks for the comments on my shots. I'm a little embarrassed to say that though I have been shooting for couple of years, my only seriousesperience is in the last 14 months since I got my first full-featured camera.I have learned a lot in this short time, but am a little intimidated by the vast areas I don't know. It's a little exciting, actually. Always something new to learn.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks for your help Tom. There's lots to learn yes. Very confusing sometimes. I've only had my camera since April of this year and I"mvery intimidated bymy lack of knowlege with photography period.I didn't relise how complex it was until I really started getting into itmore seriously. I know I love to take photos, mostly of people, and eager to learn. That's a start!

Cheers, Jules.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:46 PM   #7

she is a cutie! you did a really nice job with this one. great expression on her face, nicely composed. i agree about a tiny bit of tweaking as stated above....i'm new to digital as well so i can't offer more than that . well done.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote