Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1

just getting started in photography .... any comments about this image? Hope I resized it correctly.

Thanks
Attached Images

drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:35 PM   #2

This is a nice photo of a pretty young woman. It is a bit small for the file size, though. I would recommend resizing to around 700 - 800 pixels width, then adjusting quality level as necessary to get file size < 245Kb.

I expect Phoenix has grown a bit since I last lived there. Metro area had just reached a million population.:-)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:40 PM   #3

hey brian, thanks for the reply.* I'm new to ps elements 3 and am having trouble figuring out how to resize .....* there seem to be 2 variables ...* resolution and pixels ....* any quick tutorials that you know of?yeah, phoenix has grown too big.* when were you here?drew
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

I like her facial expression and how her arms are at her sides. Just one thing, Her cheek seems just a tiny bit too shiny. Maybe it's just me? I don't know....
walterd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:51 AM   #5

drewaz wrote:
Quote:
hey brian, thanks for the reply. I'm new to ps elements 3 and am having trouble figuring out how to resize ..... there seem to be 2 variables ... resolution and pixels .... any quick tutorials that you know of?yeah, phoenix has grown too big. when were you here?drew
To size for posting here, you use a two-step process. First, resize to pixel dimensions, then 'save as' . When you tell it to save, you get a dialog box with quality slider at top. At the bottom, is the file size and approx time to transmit at a speed, which you can select. The file size is what you need to watch. Just set slider to give file size of < 245Kb. I find it can be pretty high, say around 10 or even 11, for a 750x580 image.

I was last in Phoenix in 1970. (Tempe, actually, and worked in Phoenix) The growth rate then was really phenomenal. One week there would be desert with a couple surveyor's stakes, and the next, a complete housing development with people. Scary.

Take a look at the challenge forum for a pic of the church in Sedona that is growing out of the rocks. I got a shot of that with film when I was there, and on my way to yet another duty assignment.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:41 PM   #6

Hello drewaz,

I do like the pensive look on your subject.

There is someone in Austin, TX that may be impersonating her...

Sandra Bullock!!! :idea:

Also, her outfit works really well with the background.

The only things I might suggest are:

1. a tighter crop.

2. Photograph your subject at 45 degrees to her face.

3. PM Frank Doorhof and ask him to comment on your photo. He is a heckuva good portrait photographer! -:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:08 AM   #7

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
drewaz wrote:
Quote:
hey brian, thanks for the reply. I'm new to ps elements 3 and am having trouble figuring out how to resize ..... there seem to be 2 variables ... resolution and pixels .... any quick tutorials that you know of?yeah, phoenix has grown too big. when were you here?drew
To size for posting here, you use a two-step process. First, resize to pixel dimensions, then 'save as' . When you tell it to save, you get a dialog box with quality slider at top. At the bottom, is the file size and approx time to transmit at a speed, which you can select. The file size is what you need to watch. Just set slider to give file size of < 245Kb. I find it can be pretty high, say around 10 or even 11, for a 750x580 image.

brian
Nice shot, the only thing I would add to Brian's instructions is to make sure to rename the "saved as" file to something else so you don't write over your original. Maybe you already knew this, but someone else reading it might not have.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:36 PM   #8

I was thinking along the lines of you cropping the original differently and resizing to 800X600. Something like this, although there aren't enough pixels to do this properly. But I like the pic. It's a good one to experiment with, lots of potential. Best regards,

Kd
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:42 PM   #9

Another thing you could consider is trying to get a bit more blur in the background. I imagine it was fairly bright when you were shooting, but if you could shoot with an F-stop of 2.8 or 2, the background would be more out of focus and make your subject stand out more.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:48 PM   #10

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!* I am hoping to get Emily back to Sedona this summer so I can give it another try!* I have a new camera ...* maybe it will help!!!