Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:19 AM   #21

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
Wow! Good work Ken.

cheers Grant

I would like to see what Urbanaries thinks. Im not sure if this is the look she was after

Heres my workflow if interested: Using Photoshop CS2 (about 10mins)

1: Correct black point in levels
2: Eliminate flat line in highlights
3: Shadow enhance to flatten image to edit
4: Apply cooling filter to counter yellowy reddey look
5: Fine tune using colour balance
6: Replicate layer and heavily nose reduce to soften entire image
7: delete holes in mask so detail parts still appear sharp (eyes, mouth etc)
8: Apply mild diffusion distortion to add highlight depth to shot
9: Increase midtone contrast to bring back lo end depth to shot
10: Resize image to make larger.
11: Slightly sharpen
12: Frame
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:43 AM   #22

trying to make it look lke yellowy sun is htting you
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:21 AM   #23

Wow! you have been busy ken!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do like your edits, particularly #1 out of the quad. I don't know though, I keep looking atthe"phone"originalfeeling like it's too yellow, but when its edited out, and compared it really loses that warmth which is what I was going for.#2 is appealing but a little much on the softening. It's a tough call!

In the other pics, I likeyour attempts at the more natural skin tones. Especially in the second edited pic (the one where I'm smiling and my eyes are closed) The sunny effect is great. Did you render a lighting effect?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Curious about your PS step#2...eliminating flat line in highlights...how do you do this? In levels?

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:09 AM   #24

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
The more i look at this shot the more i like it. Its great. could be come sort of commercial for cell phones or something

Ken

It has grown on me too! It was a total accident...I was waiting for the timer to go off and my phone rang, but I didn't want to waste the shot I'd just set up! LOL

thanks for your comments and your interest!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:15 PM   #25

i just used a range of techniques for your shots

there is such a huge range of effects to apply to a shot its difficult to pick which would suit an image best. Thats why i thought to run through a few i commonly use.

Shot 1 was just souly a levels adjustment, so original image sharpness etc is all still there

Yea on the soften images i tried for that soft diffusion filter look in the shot. I am a fan of this look myself and i do admit when i warmed the shot intensley magenta artifacts came out and i was a bit too lazy to apply this and eliminate magenta. so i left as is with a slight red tinge.

the last shot with the sunny effet i tried something new i have been experimenting with. Firstly i neutrlised the shot taking out all colour casting and actualy pushing it uintil its almost cold. then Basically creating diffusion with a yellow colour cast rather than a white cast. This inceased highlight warmth. then applied harsh warming filters to the shot to increase midtone and lo end warmth. Tht diffusion effect really gives tht look as if he sun is shinning and reflecting right off your skin.

In refrence to the flatttened levels see shot below. Basically when a particular part, in this case the highlights, is flat lined on the dynamic range. Pulling these in to meet the edge of the histogram weather it be lo or hi lights makes a huge difference to the dynamic range.

again lovely shots. Thanks for letting meplay around with them

ken

Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:22 AM   #26

The second picture is so reminiscent of '50s and '60s pinup calendars and glamour photography!Terrific work. Maybe just a bit too orange, but I wouldn't go with a totally correct WB with this one.

I don't see too much of a problem with focus, and the type of picture lends itself to a somewhat soft look anyway. The softness is more a lack of contrast, but that is not a bad thing here.

I gave this one a slight tweaking of levels, and added a bit of contrast, trying not to overdo it.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:56 PM   #27

thanks brian for your comments! NICE EDIT!!!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:59 PM   #28

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:

there is such a huge range of effects to apply to a shot its difficult to pick which would suit an image best. Thats why i thought to run through a few i commonly use.

In refrence to the flatttened levels see shot below. Basically when a particular part, in this case the highlights, is flat lined on the dynamic range. Pulling these in to meet the edge of the histogram weather it be lo or hi lights makes a huge difference to the dynamic range.

ken

Ken-

Honestly appreciate the time you've taken to explain & show some of these techniques with me. I'm humbled! I learn so much on these forums from folks and it's really gratifying. My work has seen such a great improvement in a short time as a result. Thanks again for sharing your talents!

Lynne
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:45 AM   #29

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:

ken

Ken-

Honestly appreciate the time you've taken to explain & show some of these techniques with me. I'm humbled! I learn so much on these forums from folks and it's really gratifying. My work has seen such a great improvement in a short time as a result. Thanks again for sharing your talents!

Lynne

No worries lynne

Your work looks great and i look fwd to more

ken

Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:52 PM   #30

Very nice and I like the natural color corrected versions compared to the yellowish versions. Oh I wish I was on the other end of the phone :homey:
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote