Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Member's & Family Photos

Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:51 PM   #11

limeyg wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot Ken.
BTW aren't you treading on dangerous ground using this wedding theme , you know the way these ladies think !!
Cheers Geoff

thanks mate

its something we want to do but in the future sometime yet

thanks for feedback mate

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:53 PM   #12

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
You just keep practice this theme forcouple of days moreand very soon you will be also on the other side of the camera.......:blah: (someone will shooting you.....:G)

Good work... really you are now stepping more ahead with your improvement and that is the point.... keep up man....

Again, just be carreful about the background you are using, there are again some shaddow-lines and can be a little distracting..... maybe keep your model more further from the background...I find this very positive to my photos (specially to the black ones)...and put another reflector to shine directly to background (but not to model at all) when it is white could be helpfull

Zak

thanks again zak

yes i spend a lot of time pp the backing bcse it is very creasy and shadowy becasue its no flat or a consistant colour. I am looking into an alternative backing

thanks for comments

ken
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:56 PM   #13

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
G'day Ken,

Great shot mate, and congrats to your better half / gf for looking the part so well....

The lighting and soft look of the whole photo is very pleasing. Did you do much skin smoothing? (ala thanks to Frank style?) I agree with Zak that there are a few background shadows just EVER so slightly distracting.

The pose is great, and her expression matches well. She's a great model! Have you bought some studio lighting or something? (unfortunately here in Romania it's very hard to source such stuff as well I don't have the budget - being a charity worker). However whatever you did / used, it looks professional!

Well I'm doing the official wedding thing next week Fri (7th July)... but that's just the civil wedding, the one with the dress will be Sept 23rd. (as Geoff, said you've got to be careful with the "wedding dress theme" the way many girls think!!) Seriously though, hope your future (both of you) will be great.

Do send more photos and perhaps share your techiques a bit if you don't mind giving away a few handy tips!

All the best

Paul

thank you paul for your very kind words

I have been practicing alot lately on this portrait photography and i stil think i have a fair bit to go.

Skin editing was minimal in this case as finally my lighting is making my pp job much easier.

My lighting setup cost me around $100-120NZD. Our nz currency is very weak so in other words, very cheap. Say around $50usd. just built it up bit by bit, you can see my photo of it below. VERY DODGEY lol

Thanks for kind words, i dont think i wil be taking photos of my own wedding but i am doing my brothers wedding in a month or so, so im trying to pull everything together so i dont let him down

thanks again mate,

ken
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:58 PM   #14

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken again,

A quick PS. When I looked at the photo again I'm wondering if it wouldn't have looked a bit better with a slightly wider crop. I mean maybe it's just my own (stupid) opinion, but I think maybe the way her arms and head are so close to the frame is just a bit "tight".

Anyway, still a fantastic photo. You're a great photographer (and good at editing too) - please keep sharing!

Paul

i will have a go at it paul

appreciate your input, keep it coming mate

ken
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:36 PM   #15

thanks all for feedback
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:07 PM   #16

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Kaspian wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shot Ken!Beautiful model, good lighting used, even the frame you've selected for the picture is great! By the way, what type of lighting set up did you use for that shot?

Kaspian

thanks heaps mate

please see my pic below for lighting setup

2x cheapest tripods
3x desk lamps
3x 200w tungsten clear bulbs
3x black/silver lined umbrellas
Alot of ductape

Filthy old curtain as backing:O

ken
And the Picture and wedding to come Priceless! Or maybe $20 grand :blah:
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:30 AM   #17

Ken, Thanks for the explanation and picture of your lighting setup!

Wow, it certainly does a good job for what you have! Maybe that type of thing IS in my reach. Well done for building it up bit by bit but more so for using it well.

Ha Ha, you made me laugh when you said you don't think you'll be taking photos of your own wedding. I can imagine not! But I wish you all the best with the practise for your brother's wedding soon. If they agree, please do send us a few photos to see how it went!

(so do we hear wedding bells for you after that.... oh, I'm beingcheeky!)

Seriously, it's good you say you still have a way to go with photography, that's a good humble attitude, and one from which I think any photographer's skills can grow and develop. You're doing a good job already.

All the best.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:49 AM   #18

I seethe photos of the lights you are using now but would like to suggest you something.

My equipment is very much similar....all improvised.....

I see you are using regular lamps but why don't you try "milky lamps" that is how we call them in my country (the lamps are colored in white) and I use a spot lamp not regular so that you can focus on the subject or part of the subject and to have more contrast and shaddows.

And for the main Umbrella light I use one halogen 150W square lamp and I put model very close to the umbrella.

In global I use one umbrella light and one side spot lamp. Nothing more, but I ussually have slower shutter speed because of that. You have much more light there...what is your exif data for this set up.

Do not know what do you mean with

200w tungsten clear bulb"?

Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:51 AM   #19

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Ken, Thanks for the explanation and picture of your lighting setup!

Wow, it certainly does a good job for what you have! Maybe that type of thing IS in my reach. Well done for building it up bit by bit but more so for using it well.

Ha Ha, you made me laugh when you said you don't think you'll be taking photos of your own wedding. I can imagine not! But I wish you all the best with the practise for your brother's wedding soon. If they agree, please do send us a few photos to see how it went!

(so do we hear wedding bells for you after that.... oh, I'm beingcheeky!)

Seriously, it's good you say you still have a way to go with photography, that's a good humble attitude, and one from which I think any photographer's skills can grow and develop. You're doing a good job already.

All the best.

Paul

thanks again Paul

yes its been a long hard journey trying to get the lighting right and each step of the way when i added something new it was like i was straight back to the drawing board in reference to my camera (exif) and lighting setups.

But i think i am starting to make some reasonable progress

Thanks again for kind words and yea i wil see if my brother wont mind about posting some shots. It will be an out door wedding so i will need to start working on that type of photography rather than indoors.

And yes indeed, there is always more to learn and i really want to try and develop my skills further, and forums like this make it so much easier to get that done

thanks again for the comments paul

much appreciated

ken

Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:56 AM   #20

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
I seethe photos of the lights you are using now but would like to suggest you something.

My equipment is very much similar....all improvised.....

I see you are using regular lamps but why don't you try "milky lamps" that is how we call them in my country (the lamps are colored in white) and I use a spot lamp not regular so that you can focus on the subject or part of the subject and to have more contrast and shaddows.

And for the main Umbrella light I use one halogen 150W square lamp and I put model very close to the umbrella.

In global I use one umbrella light and one side spot lamp. Nothing more, but I ussually have slower shutter speed because of that. You have much more light there...what is your exif data for this set up.

Do not know what do you mean with

200w tungsten clear bulb"?

Zak

hi Zak

yes i tried the mily lamps (here in NZ we call them Frosted) but htey seemed to have a very heavy yellowy colour cast to them. I also struggled to get my shutter speed beyond 1/10.

a clear bulb is simply a buld with no colouring or frosting to the glass. This maximises the amount of light they can emit

In my situation as i use an fz30 as my cam i dont have the luxury of using iso levels beyond iso200. In fact for all my portrait shots i shoot at iso100.

The shot above was
Iso100
Shutter: 1/30
F stop: 3.6
Manual Exposure mode

THanks for feedback and advise Zak.

Always appreciated

ken