Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/)
-   -   Olympus Smartmedia Card - works in reader, but not in camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/olympus-smartmedia-card-works-reader-but-not-camera-4860/)

lg Nov 29, 2002 11:13 PM

Olympus Smartmedia Card - works in reader, but not in camera

I bought a pair of Olympus brand 64MB Smartmedia cards, and had used them interchangeably-- up until now. As far as I know, neither of them has ever been formatted anywhere except in my Olympus camera. This week, one of them just "up and died!"

To qualify that, the card won't work in the camera, but it can be read and written in my Kodak card reader. The file structure and pics are still there, but when you insert the card in the camera, it requests Format; when you attempt to format the card, it says "Card Error." I've tried using the Card Wipe utility in the Util Software section on this board, and I tried the smprep.exe program and got the message about needing drivers sp was unable to continue.

Both cards show FAT(16) formatting.
The good card shows 32,768 bytes used and 65,454,080 bytes free with 65,486,848 bytes total.
The bad card shows 2,048 bytes used and 65,258,520 bytes free with 65,261,568 bytes total.
Something is apparently different. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to revive the faulty card?

Bert Bigelow Dec 3, 2002 12:50 AM

lg,
Well, if I had to guess, I would say the FAT area in the memory has failed...just a guess, though. It's funny that the computer can read it, though. Can't explain that. Maybe somebody else can help.

gibsonpd3620 Dec 3, 2002 6:44 AM

format the card in your computer. Use the dos command in the command prompt/msdos program. You will need to format the card as fat16. Use the format/? for the command to format fat16

NickG100 Dec 4, 2002 9:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
format the card in your computer. Use the dos command in the command prompt/msdos program. You will need to format the card as fat16. Use the format/? for the command to format fat16

Any chance we could get a step by step telling us how this is done? I would like to try that with a bad card. Please?

gibsonpd3620 Dec 4, 2002 10:57 AM

What operating system are you running? I will post the format procedures.

NickG100 Dec 4, 2002 2:14 PM

Widows 98

And THANKS!!!!!

gibsonpd3620 Dec 4, 2002 2:48 PM

This format commands will only work on Win2000 and WinXP. Maybe you have a friend that has one of these OS that has a card reader and you can use their machine to format the smart media.

On W2K or WXP go to Programs/Accessories/CommandPrompt on the desktop. In the window type the following:

E is the letter of my card reader

format e:/fs:fat

This will format the smart medi with Fat 16 format structure.

NickG100 Dec 4, 2002 5:59 PM

Wow. Sounds so easy that I really, really wish I has Win XP!

Thanks. I'll look into it.

gibsonpd3620 Dec 4, 2002 7:25 PM

Your Welcome.

gibsonpd3620 Dec 4, 2002 9:09 PM

Forgot to tell you that when you put the card back in the camera, the camera will want to format it again. If the camera recognized the different format you should be good to go.