Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/)
-   -   Question about formatting memory cards (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/question-about-formatting-memory-cards-9891/)

luisr May 24, 2003 2:08 PM

Question about formatting memory cards

If I format a memory card, will the next picture taken will start with the lowest number again?

I never format my memory card, just dump the pictures in my hard drive and erase them from the card while in the card reader. Next picture continues with the numbering sequence and that it is very handy because I wll never have two pictures with the same name.

eric s May 24, 2003 5:08 PM

It depends on the camera. Some cameras keep the count by looking at the card, others keep the count themselves and therefor it doesn't matter what you do to the card. Since I don't own the same camera as you (I don't own a digital camera, yet) I can't help you more than that.

I'd ask in the forum catagory for the camera maker of your camera.

luisr May 24, 2003 6:19 PM

It's a Kodak DX4330 camera in case anyone can answer. But I will ask in the Kodak forum anyway.

Jun 4, 2003 2:20 PM

Whats the point of formatting a memory card?

luisr Jun 4, 2003 2:34 PM

Just asking in case I ever need to format it. I have never formatted it, not even when new. Apparently the camera handled everything the first time I inserted it.

voxmagna Jun 4, 2003 3:17 PM

Quote:

Whats the point of formatting a memory card?
The point about formatting a memory card (now and again) is that by erasing or deleting some pics on a card and leaving others, over time the camera has to write to memory space in different parts of the total memory block. This means the card has to keep a list of where all those parts are and address each empty bit around the old stored data. After a while, the camera must spend more time finding out where all the scattered or fragmented bits of space are, so this slows down reads and writes. This is called FRAGMENTATION. The more broken up the writing space, the longer writing and reading will take. The bigger the card, the more likely this will cause slowing down.

It's much better for the card to keep filling up like a bucket, with each new pic stored next to the last one. Of course if you always delete every pic off a card after each shoot, fragmentation is less of a problem. With big Microdrives, fragmentation can slow the card down a lot and produce more wasted space, than with say a 32 or 64 Mb card

There's also another benefit to layering each stored pic, rather than fragmenting it. If a card crashes, there is a much better chance of recovering picture files stored in contiguous blocks, than files stored in bits all over the memory space. Would you feel happier if your file was stored in bits like a patchwork quilt - or as a complete item?

Ann Jun 8, 2003 7:00 PM

Please format your NEW cards too

Having just experienced a disaster with a new card, I learned a couple of things from the pros. ALWAYS format a new card in your camera, and NEVER remove a card when the camera is on. These didn't cause my problem, but I learned that you can prevent a lot of problems with these 2 easy steps.