Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/)
-   -   USB 2 or 1.1 CF reader? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/memory-cards-microdrives-card-readers-51/usb-2-1-1-cf-reader-12024/)

Jayson Jul 26, 2003 10:15 AM

USB 2 or 1.1 CF reader?

Im looking for a CF reader either internal or external, and what whould be better usb 2 (which is faster) or usb 1.1, i only have 128mb cards at the moment. the usb 2 ones are more money though....

macleod76 Jul 26, 2003 1:11 PM

I would go with the usb 2.0 reader.

Think of it this way, it will work with both usb 1.1 and 2.0 ports. If someday you upgrade your pc, it'll more than likely have a usb 2.0 port.

PeterP Jul 26, 2003 8:24 PM

I second that opinion, :D
I got a usb 1.1 CF reader real cheep, and it is slow as molasis in winter.

eric s Jul 27, 2003 10:20 AM

I got a USB 1 reader with my CF card. It works. That is the only good thing I can say about it.

When I download 100+ pictures, I come here and read and post. Then I go to other forums and read there too. Then I consider getting dinner. It is really slow.

Eric

Jayson Jul 27, 2003 12:41 PM

thats what i thought, my computer has usb 2 anyway. so i think ill go for a usb 2 one, thanks!

Jayson Jul 28, 2003 7:28 AM

ive had a search around online computer shops and cant seem to find a shop that sells one at an afforadable price, in the UK that is. Anyone know anywhere i can try?

NHL Jul 28, 2003 7:32 AM

If you have a new PC it should have a Firewire port as well... It's usually faster than USB2.0 (in practice but not in theory)! :wink:

Jayson Jul 28, 2003 9:21 AM

nope built it my self and didnt have any need for firewire, as have loads of usb devices. yer usb2 speed is 480mb/s and firewire is ~400mb/s but uses a lot less of the cpu than usb does.

arun_junta Jul 29, 2003 1:05 AM

USB 2 or 1.1 CF reader?

I bought my A60 only couple of months ago. Couple of days back the CF card (16MB) that came with the camera just stopped working giving a 'Memory Card Error'. When i tried re-formating it in the camera itself it gave me a error E50. The manual says i'll 've to contact the canon customer support for such errors but the canon customer support sucks.

Can anyone in this thread tell me if I can recover the card and the images on it through a software? Do I need to have a card reader or is there a way to resolve this problem without having one?

Thanks in advance,

Arun

voxmagna Jul 29, 2003 7:33 AM

Quote:

ive had a search around online computer shops and cant seem to find a shop that sells one at an afforadable price, in the UK that is. Anyone know anywhere i can try?
Try Dazzle at Dixons UK, there's a usb 2 model that plugs straight in (or via a very short cable).

sTeVEn.au Jul 31, 2003 5:15 AM

I had no idea that card readers were designed specifically for either USB1 or USB2. I just assumed that the only 2 varying factors were the speed of the flash card and the speed of the USB port, and the reader itself was irrelevant.

So does that mean that if I want to take full advantage of the speed of a USB2 port, I will also have to buy a specially marked USB2 card reader?

NHL Jul 31, 2003 5:48 AM

Quote:

So does that mean that if I want to take full advantage of the speed of a USB2 port, I will also have to buy a specially marked USB2 card reader?
Yes, if the PC end is also USB2...

Also all CF cards read must faster than they write so speed is not really an issue while downloading, but uploading is (ie copy files/pictures from PC -> card)! :wink: