Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1

i am thinking of buying a pentax but wonders if it can view pics taken from a nikon stored in a sd card.

anyone can help on this?
redbeansg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:40 AM   #2

You can read the SD on your PC. I doubt Nikon will be able to read Pentax formated cards and vice versa.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:40 PM   #3
Administrator

redbeansg wrote:
Quote:

i am thinking of buying a pentax but wonders if it can view pics taken from a nikon stored in a sd card.

anyone can help on this?

The simple answer is usually no. Digital cameras read the Exif header of a jpeg image and if the cameramake/model infois not what it is looking for it either does not recognize its existance or some cameras will display an error like "Unknown image type" or the like. Also, every camera uses special folder names that incorporate the manufacturer's name (i.e. 100NIKON, 101SANYO, etc) and many times these "foreign" folder names won't even show up unless the camera menu has an option to change the active folder on the card.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:26 PM   #4

I have used the same SD card in two different Panasonics (DMC-33 and FZ-3) and in my Canon A520. I can view all the pictures on the LCD screens of all the cameras, but I can't manipulate the Canon pix on the Panasonics, and I can't manipulate the Panasonic pix on the Canon. But, as I said, I can view all the pictures on all the cameras.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5

hi guys,

thanks for the valuable comments. i was just guessing from the fact that the cards can be read by pc softwares. other than some prefixes as mentioned, the rest of the info/formatting should be the same to enable reading and printing.

it is good to know that pany and canon could read. maybe i should try it out to see if the pentax will work.

many thanks again.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:59 AM   #6

hi guys,

just to share this info. i tried the sd from my nikon coolpix on the panasonic lumix LZ-5 and it worked. but just simple viewing only. the digital zoom would not respond.

but good enough for me to view my sd cards in the LZ-5. and i bought it.

cheers.