Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 4, 2003, 12:42 AM   #11

So does anyone know if Olympus has learned their lesson and not putting these foolish requirements/limitations in their newer cameras?

Not that I plan on buying one, but I wondered... this is the type of thing which would swear me off a brand for a long time.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:21 AM   #12

I agree with eric s. This is a case of a corporation trying to strongarm the consumer into buying their brand of accessories. It is not unlike ford making an oil filter with a chip built in that would allow your car to access 100% of it's horsepower. Ordinarily this type of thing would make me want to not buy Olympus again, but the panorama feature is such a useless thing that it really doesn't matter, plus I have "hacked" all my cards so that they work should I ever want to use panorama (don't ask me what for). My concern is if they decide to suddenly disable a more important feature in the future and actually figure out a way to prevent people from bypassing it. The best way to prevent this from happening would be if hundreds or thousands of us began to complain to Olympus and threaten NOT to buy their stuff, then they would (maybe) stop the stupidity. How many have done anything about it? :twisted:
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:47 AM   #13

Eric, they still do it, and they have now done it to the new xD cards that are used on their new cameras!

The solution may just be to stay away from Olympus. The new Canon G5 also has a similar panorama feature, and I don't think that you have to buy Canon cards to make it work. It is also a nice camera in many other respects.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:47 AM   #14

Eric, they still do it, and they have now done it to the new xD cards that are used on their new cameras!

The solution may just be to stay away from Olympus. The new Canon G5 also has a similar panorama feature, and I don't think that you have to buy Canon cards to make it work. It is also a nice camera in many other respects.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:55 AM   #15

Sounds almost like you fear what is going to happen in the printer market with after market ink cartridges.

Check this out:
http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1042129564.html

Using a chip to lock out 3rd party ink cartridges, by way of the DMCA. It seems to me like Lexmark will win, unless the judge uses his brain instead of just the law/DMCA. God how I wish they'd fix that law... it is soooo bad for everyone but the company involved.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:33 PM   #16

I could have some sympathy with manufacturers if the consumables they sold at higher than market prices delivered significant benefits. But in Olympus' case, they just exploited a generally inaccessible part of a cards memory, to carry their unique 'fingerprint' vendor code.

PS I'm still searching for that elusive cheap card format editor! You wouldn't believe the few vendors I've found so far, selling less than 1Mb code under various 'PRO' labels, to do this for 250 and above! No wonder these card format recovery agencies are making so much money!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:38 PM   #17
lg

Voxmagna, I just used the method outlined in my post above to enable the Olympus panorama function on a colleague's SimpleTech 128MB SmartMedia card and two Samsung 64MB cards-- so it does work on non-Oly cards!

As for reading the CIS block info and reporting on it, we'll just have to keep that one on our wish list...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:37 PM   #18

lg, yes I know it works although I don't have your cam, I looked at the two doctored versions of smprep a while ago and worked out what the hack was doing. It was just fortunate that the prog was written with a blank data block filled with spaces (20h) that was easy to find. Had the CIS data block been more concealed in the exe, it would have been much more difficult. There's a dll that goes with each prep exe, and that's got interesting stuff in it as well.

I've also looked at the progs structure, whilst I'm only scratching the surface, it does a proper job of looking at both copies of the CIS, if an error on one, it copies the good one so both sectors are restored, whilst checking each data block on a card and updates the bad block table as it goes along.

If it has no data in the original CIS block to work with, it even has to count the number of good blocks it formats, and re-write the card size and cluster values back into the new CIS table - Clever Eh!

However, once an Oly card is smprep'd you have no choice but to use the 2 version method (assuming these are still compatible with your reader) to create the Oly ID on the oem card if you want pano.

I think the reason there's a dearth of utilities to explore cards, is these things are used in security systems, and there's sensitivity towards the private data. Also, monitoring the bad block tables on cards over time could be not what the memory makers want you to see. Bit like when you run Norton over your HD and see impending death (Biodegradeability!), as more data blocks are marked out as bad after reformat or defrag.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote