Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1

I would like to buy a few more of these, but I do understand there are a lot of counterfeits floating around. Can anyone confirm this is the real McCoy?

K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:37 AM   #2

Update -

This obviously is a counterfeit. I've done some testing with Sandra and it lags behind a known genuine standard Sandisk 1gb SD card.

This is the first and last time I will buy memory cards on eBay.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Administrator

It's been said many times in the last six months - extreme caution must be used when buying cards off of eBay, the place is a jungle of ripoff artists these days with all the Chinese knockoff cards being sold as genuine. Not only are they slower cards, often they are not even the capacity as described in the auction.

Do yourself a big favor and buy cards only from known, reputable online dealers or stores. The price of memory cards is at an alltime low, saving a few more bucks on eBay just isn't worth the grief. Check places like buy.com, ecost.com, newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com they all have great deals on the real thing.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:02 AM   #4

Thanks Steve. Fortunately this was only a $29 lesson. I have since bought cards from Newegg and Circuit City.

Ebay is okay in certain categories. I got a great deal on a D50 kit from Cameta, the "refurbished" camera had 233 activations on it and looks new.

I'm done with memory cards on eBay.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:53 PM   #5

Except for the dot matrix wavy lines, it looks pretty good. It has the notch at the bottom and the groove is properly located. The one I bought from campus111 on Ebay didn't have a notch or even a serial. It's safe to say that anything shipped from China/HK is a fake (mine was supposed to be shipped from the US but it came from HK).

Here is a good tool for checking a large volume dealer's bad feedback.

http://www.toolhaus.org/
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:57 AM   #6

Riot Act - I've had 2 them recently. One (actually two separate itmes) was supposed to be coming from Alaska but came from China. The otherone from BC but was going to be shipped from India.

Ebay should crack-down on this - it is their responsibility - but they won't because they're making money, to the detriment of the buyer.

But ebay is NOT the only one. I recently bought 2 SD cards from an online outfit and I got screwed, now I'm in a big argument with them.

Bottom line - buy locally - you have better protection, even if it costs a little more.

As for toolhaus -it has nothing different than ebay itself.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote