Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:13 PM   #1

1st post so go easy on my newbness!

I have just bought a casio EX-Z700 and need to buy a memory card for it. I don't understand which of the specifications say what speed it can read/write at so don't know if a high speed card will benefit me?

Any help is appreciated

charltonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Administrator

That's hard to say unless you tested more than one card in it and timed them.

I'd probably get a relatively fast card anyway (10MB/Second or Faster). There's very little price difference between a standardcard and one that's a bit faster than standard anymore. It probably wouldn't benefit from the very fastest cards around. But, if you were transferring photos using a card reader, you'd benefit from fastercards that way.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:36 AM   #3

Thanks JimC!

you mention 10MB/s, what speed is this? 66x, 50x, 133x ? as this is how cards i am looking at are advertised
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4
Administrator

1x = 150KB/Second

66x roughly 10MB/second

But, sometimes the numbers can be misleading. A card that's rated slower can sometimes be much faster in a given camera model, because of differences in the way a card communicates with a camera, especially with "off brand" cards.

As a general rule, the faster Lexar and Sandisk cards are usually a safe bet (as long as you don't get one of the "fake" Sandisk Ultra II cards that a lot of Ebay vendors have been caught selling). But, a number of other brands would probably work OK, too.

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I was on a budget so ordered a standard Kingston 2GB card. It was either this or a an own brand 133x rated card, and i prefered to go with the Kingston for reliability reasons.

Not sure what speed it is rated though as the website doesn't specify
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Administrator

Kingston is one of the few card brands that I personally wouldn't buy (some of their Elite Pro CompactFlash media has some compability/performance issues with some of the Konica Minolta cameras.

But, many users are happy with them and they work OK with many cameras.

I try to stick with Lexar or Sandisk for the most part. But, if the price is right, and someone else reports that a different brand works OK in a camera I'm buying memory for, I consider other brands.

As for a "standard speed" Kingston card, according to Kingston's marketing specs for Secure Digital (which only go through 1GB size standard speed cards), write speed is only around 1.5MB/Second (about 10x). So, you may or may not have problems recording video using it (it's usually a good idea to go with a little faster card to be safe, although you probably don't need the fastest cards around now (20MB/Second, etc.).

http://www.kingston.com/flash/pdf_files/mkms_874.pdf

You never know though. Sometimes, a manufacturer will include faster components in their Standard Cards, too (without advertising that they're doing it, because profit is higher on the cards rated faster), especially with newer and larger media.