Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:03 PM   #1

As the title states, I'm very concerned about getting a fake Ultra II 1GB SD card (I'm buying off of ebay) and I was wondering if a Kingston Elite Pro 1GB would make a good alternative with almost equal performance and without the chance of a fake? I'm going to be using it in a Canon A540 and I would do burst and sequence shots often (wakeboarding :-P) - would the Kingston be fast enough for this type of stuff? The A540 shoots at like 2.3-2.8 FPS at Full Resolution (approx. 2.7 MB per picture i think) - The kingston is 50x speed - Should I be alright with it? Is it a reliable card? Also, why are some of the Elite Pro's blue and white while others are orange with blue plastic? I used a Nikon 7900 today with a 60x Lexar Platinum II card and it seemed slow to load pics and take them - you had to wait for it to save after each shot like 1-3 seconds. Thats after the camera was ready to go it said "saving". Is that a specific problem with that camera/card combo or is that how most 60x's are. Actually, I dont think so because my friend has an SD450 with an Ultra II that is very fast. So the 7900 was probably just a fluke? But this is extra crap, i basically just need advice on the first part of my question.

Thanks a bunch!
Brad540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2

Hi! All .

6 months ago I had been bought Kingston Elite Pro card SD 2G , 50X ( plastic base : blue , mark : white , text : black . Local dealer told me that its made in China .

Im using it in my camera Canon S2IS . I can take full resolution pictures and movies ( AVI , 640x480 , 30 fr/s ) without any lag .
Attached Images

liennd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Administrator

Brad540 wrote:
Quote:
As the title states, I'm very concerned about getting a fake Ultra II 1GB SD card (I'm buying off of ebay) and I was wondering if a Kingston Elite Pro 1GB would make a good alternative with almost equal performance and without the chance of a fake?
Buy from a reputable dealer instead. ;-)

As for the Kingston, you'd have to try it and see what you get.

But, I think you'd probably be OK with it in a newer Canon model like yours. The Canon S1 IS had some compatiblity issues with some of the Kingston Elite Pro CompactFlash media (extremely slow, unable to record video, etc., with even older 4x cards testing much faster in it), until they updated it's firmware.

You see the same issues trying to use some of the Kingston Elite Pro cards in some Konica Minolta camera models (very slow compared to many other cards, with even the standard speed Kingston cards testing much faster in some of these cameras). I've also seen compatiblity issues reported trying to use Kingston Elite Pro cards in Kodak DSLR models.

But, Canon changed their firmware for better compatiblity and that seemed to solve the issues with Elite Pro media in them. The model with the most problems (S1 IS) with Kingston Elite Pro was also using CompactFlash versus Secure Digital. So, newer Canon models like yours are probably OK with Kingston Elite Pro SD (and I see the previous poster is using Kingston Elite Pro Secure Digital in a Canon S2 IS with no problems).

Personally, I wouldn't use Kingston media (since I've seen too many reported issues with Kingston cards from owners that have the 2 Konica Minolta models I use). With Secure Digital, I try to stick with cards using the Panasonic components (Lexar High Speed Cards, some of the higher end SimpleTech SD Cards, genuine Panasonic SD Cards).

The newer Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III SD cards seem to work great in most cameras, too (although I personally avoid older standard speed Sandisk Secure Digital cards)

But, Kingston media is relatively popular, and many users have no problems with it. They also have a good warranty.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

JimC is correct, buy from a reputable dealer, although I have bought several cards off of e-bay myself with very good luck. If you are going to buy off e-bay, here are a few tips. Don't buy from the e-bay drop-off stores, as they usually don't test any of the merchandise that is dropped off. Buy from someone that has 100% positive feedback from selling items like what you are buying, in other words, they have sold 20 memory cards and all had positive feed back. And also buy from people that allow returns. You are still taking a bit of a chance,soif you have the slightestsuspicion, don't buy.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:48 AM   #5

As stated:
Do NOT buy off ebay (scam central), and
Buy from a reputable dealer.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

jeez you guys are so anti-ebay - my family (basically my dad and I) has bought over 50 items on ebay and we've never been scammed and have always been very pleased with the product we received. Its all about checking people's feedback - the only area where I've ever heard so much talk of fake ebay items and such is in Memory Cards - other than that I believe ebay to be pretty safe. . . Does anyone have anymore input on whether one card will be faster/better though?
Brad540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7
Administrator

You're the one that was concerned about getting a fake card (a valid concern, since I've seen a lot of forum members receive fakes). ;-) The Ebay vendor may not be aware that they're selling fakes either (if they don't get them from authorized distributors).

Also, if the card was not purchased from an authorized dealer, Sandisk won't replace it under warranty. I've seen this issue come up before (Sandisk refusing to replace a defective card bought from an unauthorized vendor). Not all cards are perfect (defects happen, even with genuine cards).

Note the second and third sentence on this page:

Quote:
This warranty is provided to the original end user purchasing from SanDisk or an authorized reseller, and is not transferable. Proof of purchase may be required.
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Docume...ocumentID=3019

You can buy a genuine Sandisk 1GB Ultra II SD Card for under $35 plus $4.95 shipping from a reputable vendor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820180615

They also carry other brands like the Kingston cards you're looking at.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote