Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:39 PM   #11
NHL

koruvs

Of course it's beneficial, only if it's a pacing item...

What I try to say is do you shoot faster than 3 frame/s in jpeg? The camera can take 6s extra, but that does not prevent you from taking another shot. ie you can take shots while the camera is writing, Unlike in raw where you'll have to wait the full 16s while the camera shutter is locked out!

If you're having to wait for the camera to flush its buffer in jpegs then definetly go for the extra speed, but most folks don't shoot that fast or at least in burst, ie it's not a machine gun, and one needs to compose the shots in between. IMO even a dSLR do not require a faster card if only jpegs are selected as pictures type... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:43 AM   #12

NHL is right with buffering.

Another point: most CFs read time is much faster then write time.

My (cheap) Kingston CF is FASTER when reading to PC (with USB2 reader) then my expensive Sandisk Ultra!

There is no advantage for 24/32/40x CFs then give more money to the dealer. He spends his vacation near Waikiki Beach thanks to your fancy.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:53 AM   #13

DonalDuc

Thanks for the info. I knew that CF read faster than write, but I didn't know how much faster. Good to know that it doesn't seem to (even partially) follow the speed ratings.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:56 PM   #14

Default symetrical

looks like 40x CF cards, might be reading and writing about the same speed. ~6Mbytes/s

Perhaps someone can verify this.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6191-6217

quoting read rates of approaching 6000 Kb/s,
which is approx 40x speed.
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:36 PM   #15

OK, lets see if I can explain a bit more clearly

I have the 5700 set at 2560x1920 in JPEG "Fine" mode.
I setup the photo by depressing the shutter half way then fully depress the shutter button once in focus.

Using the above process when the SanDisk Ultra 256MB CF Card is in the 5700 I have to wait 2 to 3 seconds (sometimes up to 8 seconds) before I can take another photo.

In other words the screen freezes the photo I took and I am not able to shoot until its finished writing.

I'm not trying to tick anyone off, I'm just explaining what is happening.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:25 PM   #16
NHL

You're not ticking anyone off. You must have set your camera wrong or something (ie not in jpeg), because even the most basic P&S can shoot faster than that. The 5700 is much more capable than 2-3s between shots, it's rated for 3 frames per second (2-3s between shot is not 3fps!) and Nikon can't never sell this camera to anyone if it was that slow, even my very old Coolpix 990 is faster than that :?

According to Steve (with 8x card):
Quote:
The shot to shot time by default is about 2 seconds but using the "quick shutter release" option in the setup menu shortens that down to about 1 second. I continued to shoot as fast as possible and was able to fire 8 frames before the "hour glass" (please wait) was displayed as the buffer was being processed..., .... The average user will rarely, if ever run into a full buffer that will delay their shooting.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...n5700_pg6.html
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:54 PM   #17

NHL,

Thank you...I must be blind, I never knew about that Quick Shutter Release option. <going to read the manual again!>

I was able to fire 7 shots in a row before the buffer filled up
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:57 PM   #18
NHL

No problemo... That's what we're all here for. I guess you can now save that $50 toward your next camera! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:13 PM   #19

Absolutely.

I'm looking at the D100 or whatever Nikon has in that class in the next year or two

...and I will be sure to read that manual thoroughly. :lol: :idea:
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:07 AM   #20

Good catch on that setting NHL.

Now what I wonder is why that isn't the default. That make no sense to me at all. I haven't heard of any other camera which shoots that slow (and has the setting to disable it.) Of course, I don' t know a lot about different camera models... my research was very specific when I went hunting. But that sure sounds weird to me!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote