Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:44 AM   #21

Nikon has the setting located in Set-Up 1 > Monitor Options > Shutter Release Speed >

Normal (default)

or

Quick Shutter Release

Why Nikon placed it there is beyond me :roll: anyway, thanks again NHL!
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:59 AM   #22

Default other camera

before I go out and buy one...

does the canon s400 or s50 behave like this also.?

a few colleagues have sony DSC cameras, and they all seem to freeze until after the image is written to the memStick, I thought this is how they all worked. phew..
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 9:30 AM   #23

Personally I wouldn't buy something which uses Memory Stick, because of all the changes that are going on to that design. It sounds like they are moving towards killing off the older design and using a larger (backwards incompatable) one.

But to answer your question... I can't. But you could ask in the sony forum, I bet someone there would know.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:07 AM   #24

I'd kinda ruled out the sony ones, on image quality.

but was looking a the canon s400 and s50,
They both claim continuous shooting, I'm guessing this is quicker the lower resolution you set the camera to.?

both use CF, but a little concerned that SD might be the way forward.
CF looks a physically large format, expecially to squeeze into a camera like the sd400.
sd100 is using SD now, i believe.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 12:45 PM   #25
NHL

Quote:
both use CF, but a little concerned that SD might be the way forward.
I would worry about that when the professional dSLR market start using sD! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll realize this when you need lot of gig + fast storage (and inexpensive!) Do a cost/megabyte comparison especially on the larger cards and see which way your pocket book goes... Currently 100% of dSLR and most of the high-end cameras are CF.

Only chose sD if you need a small/pocketable form-factor camera, otherwise CF is the way to go (ie you'll be able to re-use the cards moving up to dSLR or higher performance cameras later). Beside you can get a CF adapter for almost any other format, try that with sD!

The other thing is stick with AA batteries, there's rechargeable CR-V3 lithium coming in AA form factor which will make this type even more universal, and much cheaper too than the proprietary ones. Also in case of emergency you can pop a few shots with some Alkaline... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:59 PM   #26

I think I'm happy to go for CF, hopefully Canon will stick to CF for the small ranges, too. I might take a fancy to one of those tiny sd400 types, in future, and would be nice to be able to repurpose some CF cards for that.
ie, not just for upgrading to SLR types, but for the minimalist days too.

oops, this posting just veered to batteries.
I like the idea of going for AA batteries,(I've just got a battery pack for my canon SLR, that enables that),
but finding a modestly small camera that supports AA native, means the choice of camera becomes too restrictive.

if I'm taking more than 400-500 shots a day, I'm going to be looking at another camera probably.
perhaps car charger would save the day.

I'm not sure what going digital will do to my snap rate.
although, with canon's focus bracketing and ye olde exposure bracketing, I'm sure I'll find out the daily limits, quite soon.

you'd think the manufacturers would make battery pack adaptors,
for heavy users.
my SLR batterpack, just screws into the tripod mount, and has contacts that poke into the battery compartment.

I'm not sure straight AA alkalines always work, I've read some post, of this not always being the case.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9740
best to test with a set of AA, before you go out into the field, and get stuck, thinking that normal AA's are a suitable fallback.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:51 PM   #27
NHL

I mean theses: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=monster
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote