Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:04 PM   #1

Hello, I hope all are well.

I am getting a Canon S3 IS. It uses SD type memory cards.

Is there a limit to the sise/capacity of card this camera will accept and use, in other words will 1, 2, 4, 6 GB SD cards work without any problems?

2. Is the high performance memory that is touted really necessary for all functions of the camera to work at its best?

3. Any specific brand that has given better service than others?

Thanks guys, Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:40 PM   #2

According the specs on Canon's website, it doesn't support the newer SDHC cards, so the maximum I believe would be 2GB. 4GB and up use the newer SDHC standard. Still 2GB is a decent size card, and considering it can only record movie files up to 1GB, there is no real advantage to having 4GB continuous memory anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:30 PM   #3

rvgcam, you nailed it!! That's what Canon had to say!

Question: In this senario what would you recommend with all things considered, pictures and video, 1 or 2 GB?
First digital camera, I really don't know!

Sincerely, Changeling

Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

You can never have too much memory, so I'd say get 2GB. However, there is an arguement for getting two 1GB cards instead of a single 2GB, so if one fails (which is unlikely, but does happen) you'll still be able to keep shooting/won't lose all your photos if you're on a long trip and have already filled a card up.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Administrator

I have seen multiple reports in forums from S3 IS users that 4GB Cards work fine in it, with the camera recognizing and using their full capacity, and I've seen a report from another S3 IS user that got a reply from Canon that this model is SDHC compatible.

Note that video files with this model are limited to 1GB each.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:47 PM   #6

I tried copying and posting a reply from Canon but for some reason it won't work on this web site.
In escense it says:
The Canon S3 IS has a 1GB buffer that will dump to the SD card, therefore no more than 1GB can be used for making movies.
The Canon will accept and should work with any card that uses 16 bit formating which is up to 2 GB and any card that is formated with 32 bit for cards with more than 2 GB that meet the industry standards in both cases.
I guess this solves the question. They work with conditions on the movie making

If you can tell me how to copy and paste on this web site I'll give you there whole response.
Changeling

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I have seen multiple reports in forums from S3 IS users that 4GB Cards work fine in it, with the camera recognizing and using their full capacity, and I've seen a report from another S3 IS user that got a reply from Canon that this model is SDHC compatible.

Note that video files with this model are limited to 1GB each.

Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:56 PM   #7

MrPogo This is my strategy. Do to the lack of expertise with cameras I decided to go with 1GB cards to start instead of 1 2GB card.

Changeling

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:
You can never have too much memory, so I'd say get 2GB. However, there is an arguement for getting two 1GB cards instead of a single 2GB, so if one fails (which is unlikely, but does happen) you'll still be able to keep shooting/won't lose all your photos if you're on a long trip and have already filled a card up.